ET 2.60 Patch with etpro status

Official ET Pro announcements here...

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

gotenks

Post by gotenks »

Lekdevil.NL wrote:
|TGT|Rodent| wrote:N.B. Has anyone else noticed a HUGE decline in the amount of people playing ET since 2.60 was released?
No. All Seeing Eye reports 10000 to 11000 ET players at peak times; same numbers as before the patch was released.

By the way, I don't really understand all these desperate pleas for a new ET Pro version. Nobody is forcing you to upgrade your server to 2.60, right?
actually my host upgraded everyone with no warning... and we don't have direct access :(
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
macsta

Update to 2.6

Post by macsta »

the problem is most of the players who play on the server auto updated, so we had no choice but to bring the server to 2.6 also. That is why we are awaiting the new ET Pro
{GZR}mAC

EagleReloaded

Post by EagleReloaded »

Lekdevil.NL wrote:By the way, I don't really understand all these desperate pleas for a new ET Pro version. Nobody is forcing you to upgrade your server to 2.60, right?
You own a Mitsubishi Mirage. It's a decent car, reliable, few years old, does the job. One day you win the lottery and decide to buy your dream car, a Ferrari 575 GTC. The problem is, the car requires higher octane fuel than is currently available anywhere near you, so you can't drive it. Would you just let the thing sit there in your garage for months, not really knowing if you'll ever get a chance to drive it? Or would you go petition your nearest major Shell to get some quality fuel in?

Everyone here appreciates the huge effort made by Bani et al, we're just growing frustrated that there's potential to make the game a whole lot better than it is that's going to waste for the moment. I know it's better that the ETPro crew take their time and produce a quality release instead of feeling bound by release dates that result in a subpar release, but one can only stand so many open-ended answers of "when it's done".

I know personally I want the new ETPro because if the league I play in is going to move to the new ET/ETPro combo mid season, I want as much time as possible to get used to the changes that will bring.
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
hiro

Post by hiro »

we'll pause the season for a week if need be to change our servers over to the new version, but I don't envision anything being added that will require a major readjustment on players' behalf. If there are new settings that players object to, we'll leave them turned off as we did with b_realhead when we switched to 319 in the middle of season 3.

Sure everyone wants the latest ferrari, but that doesn't mean the old model is no longer worth driving ;)
PincheGab

Post by PincheGab »

hiro wrote:Sure everyone wants the latest ferrari, but that doesn't mean the old model is no longer worth driving ;)
Hey, that's a good pickup line! I'll tell my grandpa!
fetz

Post by fetz »

g5 should be enuf to run et, no? why does it seem jerky and 1/2 sec slower...

living with etmain instead of etpro and the features it brings, suks it... but what suks it harder is compromising with another mod like shrub or etpub. maybe i am too sensitive to smoothness of play and realism, but the last ammo pack tossed at me on a shrub server went over my head.

if it was not for the new mac players that learn daily on our server (we all know that et could stand a few thousand more players), id give up on 2.6 without etpro.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

fetz wrote:g5 should be enuf to run et, no? why does it seem jerky and 1/2 sec slower...
You need to provide more specific information. Does it actually run slow (what does cg_drawfps 1 show ?) or are you having network problems (what does cg_lagometer 1 show ?) or does it just "feel jerky" without anything abnormal in either of those ? Does it still "feel jerky" if you play on a Mac server ?
send lawyers, guns and money
fetz

Post by fetz »

hey man..glad u care. fps from 10-70 depending on what the maxfps setting and snaps are set to and connection is not an issue.

have not tried to host it on a mac box...ill try that tomorrow and let u know. also, let me point out that win servers do not seem to run any different than a linux server.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

fetz wrote:hey man..glad u care. fps from 10-70 depending on what the maxfps setting and snaps are set to and connection is not an issue.
FPS dropping to 10 would certainly make things feel jerky. Even dropping to 20 or 30 is pretty bad. I wouldn't expect this to happen on a top of the line Mac system, unless there was some background task grabbing resources or something. (the mini I tested on did drop that low, but it is 1.4ghz G4 and a Radeon 9200 Suck Edition or something like that...)

ET *does* like lots of CPU power and memory bandwidth.

There is a difference between mixed platforms vs. all the same paltform, because Intel and PPC CPUs doen't do floating point math quite the same, and Q3 games depend a lot on doing the same calculation on both the client and server. Some major issues in this area were resolved before release, but there might be some left that you can feel. Note that it is the CPU that matters, not the OS, so linux and windows would be the same in that respect.
fetz

Post by fetz »

typically i run maxfps at 60 (despite other recommendations). it doesnt seem to matter what the fps is limited to, the "feel" i get is different.

i do realize that most mac users are on machines that date back several years, and the hardware just isnt enuf.... the damn things cost so much that users dont replace as often. however, under ideal circumstances, im convinced ther is a lil :er: in gameplay. my hopes are that ETPro dust fixes it :!:
sgone:red.

Post by sgone:red. »

I work on macs every day. I can't see ET running at a decent speed unless you own a top spec mac tbh.

We recently installed OS 10 on our mac's and because it's such a resource hungry beast, the mac runs like pants tbh, even after we upped the RAM to a gig on each machine. In my opinion, OS 10 shouldn't be installed on older macs at all, but the company i work for had to, to keep up with customers etc. :(
www.smokeysgrotto.com -- #smokeys-grotto -- www.et1337.net

ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

fetz wrote:typically i run maxfps at 60 (despite other recommendations). it doesnt seem to matter what the fps is limited to, the "feel" i get is different.
But does it *stay* at 60, or does it drop below that ?

Also, check the value of r_swapinterval (i suggest 0). If you can't hold FPS == monitor refresh, r_swapinterval > 0 can make things feel very jerky. If there is some external vsync control, make sure that is off too.
EagleReloaded

Post by EagleReloaded »

You're not meant to ruin my argument hiro, take your logic elsewhere :P I know we'd pause the ladder, but in the mean time we're still running 3.1.9, a beta, with its complement of bugs, and we've had those for 4 months now, a number of which apparently were addressed before 2.6 came into being. Why not simply package up what work was done then, release it as 3.2.0, and give us our ET 2.6 compatible 4.0.0 when it's ready.

I hope I don't sound ungrateful, because I know we're all indebted to Bani et al for the work they've put into this game, it's just 9 months without an official release, and weeks without any concrete word on anything is enough to leave anyone who cares about this game pulling at their hair.
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

No, no, you're all not sounding ungrateful, just annoyingly impatient. If there's one thing you get out of this post, I hope it is the realization that you could better spend your time doing something like gardening or working in a factory for minimum wage than posting here.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
PincheGab

Post by PincheGab »

Whatever happened to the "if you don't care about it don't read it" method? I've been happily doing that with the stupid "please make etpro simpler" thread...