ettv_b6 causing MAJOR lags on broadcasts

Forum for discussing ET TV

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

chosen_

Post by chosen_ »

Well, i have the same prob since ettv b6 (no test with ettv b5)

Today, we will use my matchserver for an ettv match.

The ETTV Servers of arni and me are in the same servercenter and this server center is almost directly connected to the german DECIX.
Tenovis databorg is also good known for their quality and!! bandwidth.

Also an amd xp 3200+ (ettv serv) and intel p4 (matchserver today) won't produce any lags.

And yes, i know that i have enough bandwith and cpu power, and have a good server :)
with ettv b3 and b2 did successfull broadcast the atlantic battle with 250 viewers (2x 100 slots, 1x 50 slots).

And at least, i don't believe, that 2 ettvservs with 50 viewers need less power than 1 ettvserv with 100 viewers.

Hope we find a fast solution, i have to broadcast some matches this week :D

cya
chosen

Edit:
I was broadcasting the atlantic battle over the french hub (the gameserver makes now the problems too) without probs, so no bandwidth probs 4 sure.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

please try b4 and verify exactly it's a b6 only bug.
arni

Post by arni »

ok, i think i have to make some corrections to what i've claimed to be the reason:

* It doesnt seem to be a problem of b6, because we are currently having an almost lagfree broadcast with master and slave beeing on the same network ...

On the other hand this prooves:

* The ettv server has got enough bandwidth and cpu to handle its 125viewers

* The problems that we had before must have been caused by the matchserver or on the way from it to the recorder (yes i know you said this in the first place ;-) )

More observations:

It only seems to happen with lots of ettv servers connected directly to the matchserver - each time this happened it were 5 or 6.

There comes the arguement of too little bandwidth on the matchserver in again - reason i cant believe this is: Same happened on 3 different matchservers with direct lan connections to the internet as well as the players on the same server not lagging? (Again players as well as recorders beeing all over europe sort of disprooves the possibility that connection to recorders was just crap)

Possible reason:

These are just my own ideas, in the rest of the thread you had always rejected all my bug claims, thats why its only my own thoughts about it (as it also was before)

--> Does the ettv master have problems in handling large numbers of ettv slaves?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

is the master b4 or b6?
arni

Post by arni »

all b6 now

(and for the other broadcasts aswell)
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

-=[VP]+arni+=- wrote:all b6 now

was the master b6 or b4 when you were getting lags before?
arni

Post by arni »

bani wrote:
-=[VP]+arni+=- wrote:all b6 now

was the master b6 or b4 when you were getting lags before?
was also b6
chosen_

Post by chosen_ »

Well, i had no lag problems yesterday, cause there were just 65 viewers on my server.

Well, arni had lags when someone joined his other gameservers, i don't think that it was a problem before b6, cause (!) i have 5 gameserver and 2 ettv servers on one machine when i broadcast the attlantic battle.

I think finally, that the b6 needs more resources, what is maybe the problem that causes lags.

Anyway i think if 2 full 50 slots need less resources than full 1 100 slots ettv serv, its .. hmm .. don't know how to call it ;)
If u want, we can test it next week, there are some good matches that will have some more viewers than a 4th division semifinal like yesterday.

At all, we can test this week: ettv_b6 on wed, ettv_b4 on thu and on saturday and sunday everything we want cause there are 5 matches waiting :)

if u want i can give u access to ssh and my 2nd ettv server to look at the problem yourself.

cya
chosen
arni

Post by arni »

the ettv having a 1,5 sec lag was normal because the matchserver that became active was in swapfile and matchservers have higher prio than the ettv replayer.

not an ettv problem just machine busy

but the thing that was different yesterday is that we only had 3 ettv servers connected to the master - i think that makes more of a difference
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

b6 takes less resources than b4 or b5.
arni

Post by arni »

ok bani we seem to have localised the problem more:

Matchserver and ettv server were on the same network segment ...

Matchserver b4 & ETTV server b6 - Works perfectly

Matchserver b6 & ETTV server b6 - Causing these strange lags with frames with 50 or 00 at the end get dropped ...
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

ok that helps.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

what os is the matchserver, recorder, slaves, etc?
arni

Post by arni »

usually all linux, but the bug also happened with a windoze matchserver of the same version
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

on your linux servers can you do /sbin/ifconfig
and tell me the txqueuelen for your ethernet interfaces?
do any of your interfaces say non-zero for errors: or dropped: or overruns: ?

also whats the output of cat /proc/sys/net/core/rmem* and cat /proc/sys/net/core/wmem* and cat /proc/sys/net/core/netdev_max_backlog ?