Swear Filters

Any discussions that are non-rtcw/et related go here.

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

SHVDKTY (ID)

Swear Filters

Post by SHVDKTY (ID) »

Most of the servers out there have these filters...the ones that kill you when you swear....well I have no problem with those...but I do have a problem with them not keeping people from using the words Jesus, God, The Son of God etc. Now I don't want to sound like a Religious freak but I would much rather hear somebody swear then read "you killed Jesus" or something like that. I am from Idaho so yes I am Mormon (I know you don't need to say it)....there was a guy with the name Joseph Smith the False Prophet the other day... and one named Jesus...and The son of God. It does make me giggle to read that so and so was just cooked by Jesus flame....but really do we need to allow these names and such to escape the filter. I just think we could do without all the religious monickers being used. Thats all.
The Big Bad Cow

Post by The Big Bad Cow »

I dont think bani cares, its not like HE is offended by it...

:(
SHVDKTY (ID)

Post by SHVDKTY (ID) »

The Big Bad Cow wrote:I dont think bani cares, its not like HE is offended by it...

:(

Well I was only making general statement. But the few incidents i described did happen on oldcrows bani obj. It would be nice for anybody running a server to filter out these monickers.
Boco

Post by Boco »

I say: filter it
<[av]bani> anything which causes boco pain or suffering is \o/
<[av]bani> guns are cool. just saying the word 'gun' gives me a raging hardon.
<[av]bani> DO NOT MOCK HAPPY FUN BANI
<[av]bani> do not run over happy fun bani

* [NW]reyalP thinks he should write a book... "IP Law for fucking morons"
<KingJackaL> haha
<KingJackaL> I'd buy it : D
<WeblionX> I'd scan every page and put it up as a torrent!
gotenks

Re: Swear Filters

Post by gotenks »

SHVDKTY (ID) wrote:Jesus, God, The Son of God etc. Now I don't want to sound like a Religious freak
so you'd have someone kicked or forced to change names if they came in as "God is great" or soemthing like that?
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
SHVDKTY (ID)

Re: Swear Filters

Post by SHVDKTY (ID) »

gotenks wrote:
SHVDKTY (ID) wrote:Jesus, God, The Son of God etc. Now I don't want to sound like a Religious freak
so you'd have someone kicked or forced to change names if they came in as "God is great" or soemthing like that?

Don't get me worng there is nothing wrong with people who want to worship any way they want...all I am saying is I don't think that it is what I want to see SHVDKTY was cooked by god is great's flame. I guess I just don't like taking the name in vain. But whatever, I was just making a suggestion.
Boco

Post by Boco »

Most religious players don't want to kill God in a war game.
<[av]bani> anything which causes boco pain or suffering is \o/
<[av]bani> guns are cool. just saying the word 'gun' gives me a raging hardon.
<[av]bani> DO NOT MOCK HAPPY FUN BANI
<[av]bani> do not run over happy fun bani

* [NW]reyalP thinks he should write a book... "IP Law for fucking morons"
<KingJackaL> haha
<KingJackaL> I'd buy it : D
<WeblionX> I'd scan every page and put it up as a torrent!
=SWAT=Kenny

Post by =SWAT=Kenny »

ever think someones named could be "jesus." <= heh-sus
tihs hsidlihc fo eceip a is yefink

If alexjones8194 had a penis it would be called "useless." Reason being is all it would be good for is him stepping on it.
SHVDKTY (ID)

Post by SHVDKTY (ID) »

=SWAT=Kenny wrote:ever think someones named could be "jesus." <= heh-sus
Yes I did think of that....but in the case I mentioned the guy named jesus kept changing between The Son of God and Jesus. So I don't think his name in R/L was jesus. And people's name aren't only the issue here, I don't like it when it is used in everyday speach either....you know somebody spams God Damn or something like it.

Look it was just a suggestion cause I know when the guy was on with the name jesus I asked him to change it......about 6 or 7 affirmitaves came right after....so I figured there was more support than this....if I was wrong then it's cool they are your guys servers do what you want, I wont stop comming. I just thought I would make a suggestion.
GanjMahal

Post by GanjMahal »

I know servers are the admin's property, and all users on them are subject to their rules...

That being said, I tend to support a little thing called the 1st Amendment. This nifty little Article in the Bill of Rights more or less grants us the freedom to say whatever the fuck we want. If an admin wants to set up a filter, that's his perogative. If someone wants to name themselves Jesus--for whatever reason--I'm not going to stop him. Who am I--and who are you--to decide what he is and isnt allowed to say?

It's a game, don't let it get to you. You didnt really kill Jesus, alright?
"I sure wish women would stop fucking with my head and get around to the rest of me."
SHVDKTY (ID)

Post by SHVDKTY (ID) »

GanjMahal wrote:I know servers are the admin's property, and all users on them are subject to their rules...

If an admin wants to set up a filter, that's his perogative. If someone wants to name themselves Jesus--for whatever reason--I'm not going to stop him. Who am I--and who are you--to decide what he is and isnt allowed to say?

It's a game, don't let it get to you. You didnt really kill Jesus, alright?
Don't get me started on the first admendment :roll: ....that is a whole other thread. But this has nothing to do with the first admendment...go to a Swat server and try to say anything you want to say....you'll find yoursself banned faster than you can say it. I am sure Kenny will be the first to tell you these servers are not democracies they are dictatorships (I think I have the quote right, Kenny?) Youre right it is the server hosts perogative.....so all I am saying is that if we ban swearing because it is offensive to some...why not go a bit farther and ban the offensive religious monickers. you won't say anything to the guy who wants to name himself jesus...but if he named himself f**k head they get kicked. Who am I to decide you ask? Nobody is the answer...I don't run the servers....but as you said the server admin can decide...and thats what I am asking. I know it is a game...I know I didn't kill jesus. :roll: ...I am saying if we ban swearing to make the game more enjoyable for some then why can't we ban the religious monickers to make it more fun for others.
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

Banning names aren't always as simple as banning words in the chat... some people may have a legitimate use for the name and be banned.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

duke'ku wrote:Banning names aren't always as simple as banning words in the chat... some people may have a legitimate use for the name and be banned.
we found that out with i-m bastard... he comes in and when you try to call his name you get gibbed... not fair
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
SHVDKTY (ID)

Post by SHVDKTY (ID) »

duke'ku wrote:some people may have a legitimate use for the name and be banned.

Not to be contrary but show me the legitmate reason for a name joseph smith the false prophet (sole purpose of offending mormons) thats like me having my name zero sucks or something like that....or The Son of God....or God...or Jesus. You know for those people who use their real name out there you can ignore this part...my name is not SHVDKTY...and I doube gotenks parents named him that...and I don't think corpsegrinder was originally thought of a little cute corpsegrinder. Most people on here do not use their real name and banning the name Jesus would not be putting a huge part of the population out. Now I know it might not be practical to ban every offensive name....but having the admins in the room they could do something about it....you know I don't really have an answer to the problem...I just have the beef. So what ever is done, or nothing at all its cool. I will still play and if I see them in the room I will politely ask them to change it...and in the aforementioned case of jesus the son of god, when they get nasty about it I will condump their butt and maybe we can do something about it. I just thought this was a place to voice a concern about the game...and I have voiced mine...you don't ave to agree...you don't have to care...you don't have to do anything about it. It was just an observation.
=SWAT=Kenny

Post by =SWAT=Kenny »

SHVDKTY (ID) wrote: Don't get me started on the first admendment :roll: ....that is a whole other thread. But this has nothing to do with the first admendment...go to a Swat server and try to say anything you want to say....you'll find yoursself banned faster than you can say it. I am sure Kenny will be the first to tell you these servers are not democracies they are dictatorships (I think I have the quote right, Kenny?) Youre right it is the server hosts perogative.....so all I am saying is that if we ban swearing because it is offensive to some...why not go a bit farther and ban the offensive religious monickers. you won't say anything to the guy who wants to name himself jesus...but if he named himself f**k head they get kicked. Who am I to decide you ask? Nobody is the answer...I don't run the servers....but as you said the server admin can decide...and thats what I am asking. I know it is a game...I know I didn't kill jesus. :roll: ...I am saying if we ban swearing to make the game more enjoyable for some then why can't we ban the religious monickers to make it more fun for others.
1) it is a dictatorship and yes that quote was good enough for me
2) swear words are completely different then having a name like jesus, allah, god, buddah or any other name u can come up with.
3) swear words are banned on the =swat= servers in regards to being in your name as well as the curse filter. its easy to do
4) god dam is one of my favorite things to say so i doubt i would ever ban it as someone's name.
5) to see "you killed god" has a funny conotation to it.
6) to see "you killed the son of god" also is kind of humorous considering christians believe he was resurected. so he must be resurecting a lot in a wolf game. :)
7) i have the word "ass" in my name and it reflects how i am some would say when i am on the server
8) why not ban peter, richard, mike hunt, ben dover, pussycat, or a host of other non-offensive names that could offend one or two people.
9) if u banned the word "god" names like lady godiva and god bless the USA, god bless america, in god we trust, goddard, and god is good would all be banned names.

so it doesnt make sense to me. way too much work to satisfy the mormon's of the world. i know i know dont be a mormon hater but come on who else would be offended by the word "god?"
tihs hsidlihc fo eceip a is yefink

If alexjones8194 had a penis it would be called "useless." Reason being is all it would be good for is him stepping on it.