inexpierienced seaking expierianced advice

Any discussions that are non-rtcw/et related go here.

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

wolfenskater

inexpierienced seaking expierianced advice

Post by wolfenskater »

I know very little about over clocking but i have this i dea about putting a computer into a modified freezer to keep it cool, could i overclock more by keeping it in a freezer
Can a computer get too cold????
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

ha ha ha ha ha don't even try. if you're not that sure about computers in the first place, don't even touch overclocking.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i like the idea lol i thought about it b4 lol but when you over clock there is also a chance you computer gets stuck earlier but i dont think a computer can get to cold but ofcourse its no good if something gets head and cold quick so it might break
Bucknutz

Post by Bucknutz »

just keep it out of your refrigerator freezer... cold can be good, cold and WET, not so much...
Rehab is for quitters.
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

one of my good friends has expirmented with this several times, he has used dry ice, water circulation systems, and even making his room around 40 degrees, and each time he gets me to drive him out to Fry's electronics for a new processor and a new motherboard....and this guy is fucking smart as hell with computers, and built his first when he was 9 so....I would recomend you never think of this idea again.
You cant hold back the liquid...ohhh...ohhh...lol...jk.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

ok here goes,
i'm electrical engineering major so i know the answer to this... ;) It's actually better to keep it cool... the idea of a super conductor is the perfect idea for a computer... if they can put a super conductor in computers THz speeds would be simple... unfortunately for most common medals (copper etc) they become super conductors at below -200 Celcius (slightly above 0 kelvin). They have a superconductor that works at -150 but that's still too cold, but any lower in temp increases the ability for something to conduct. EG cold good...
if your gonna overclock i agree with duke... KNOW YOUR STUFF... i've had some friends melt their processors (on purpose) into piles of silicon... I am looking at a liquid cooling system for when i get new stuff... it's around $300, i'm sure theres' better options, but dependant on what you want to do
Overclocking happens at speeds, athlons are clocked closer to their max potential than pentiums, therefor pentiums are capable of successfully holding a higher overclock. but when you do it watch your motherboard and processor heat... be on it for hours at a time watching the temp make sure it doesn't go to high.
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

If I were you man...I would just buy a good processor...and leave it how it is....if over clocking helped your computer preformance a lot....then people would be buying up coolings systems left and right...but they are never advirtised, and you rarely see them on shelves. Overclocking is a risk that you have to be willing to take. Personally i would not do it... I dont have enough expirience to know how to do it properly. And if you are expecting to get it over a forum then you are mistaken. If you really want to do it though, find someone who has done it SUCCESSFULLY before and talk with them, otherwise dont mess with it.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

lol it's actually a little common practice... i'd definately recomend not doing it though if you don't know what to expect.
companies like alienware overclock the motherboards to improve the whole performance of the computer. I'm going to get a good processor and overclock it a little myself.
My Website
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

true to that gotenks.....true to that....
Radeon9.8kpunk

Post by Radeon9.8kpunk »

i am not gonna do it now, it was just a idea, by the way i live in a small town and NO ONE knows anything about computers my friends cant tell a monitor from a modem
Bandit is looking for a ET Clan!
I am proficient in combat and medical skills
My accurracy is usually around 35-40%
I usually get at least twice as many kills as deaths
Imbroglio

Post by Imbroglio »

thats actually kinda sad

i live in a completely diff setting, most of my friends know too much and usually end up in trouble if you know what i mean :?
Till DEATH do us Part
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i live in a university town... and it's university is ranked as one of the top engineering schools in the nation... :( no freelance computer jobs for me
My Website
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

cool, gotenks, im studying to be a chemical engineer, if you dont mind what school are you at?
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

Iowa State University... the first computer was made here
My Website