dual G5 vs. 3.4 Ghz P4

Any discussions that are non-rtcw/et related go here.

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

G5 vs. P4

g5
13%
P4
36%
Athalon
51%

Total votes: 39

wolfenskater

Post by wolfenskater »

so by what you are telling me it sounds like the athalon model number tells how many mhz a comparible p4 would run like

I cant get linux (my stepdad loves microsoft, and loves their overpriced software)
can windows xp run a 64 bit processor, i thought they had to release a new os
also i have a fat 32 partition which is 32 bit
Thanks!!! for the advice i am going to get an athalon system in about a month

by the way could someone compare Fat32 with ?ntfs? (dont know what its called for sure)
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

why cant you get linux? it's free...
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

because sco says using linux is illegal.
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

ohsno!
SwERvE

Post by SwERvE »

Well then...consider me a criminal...
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

p4 2.4
512ddr
geforce4 mx440 (good, but want to sell)

And wolf works great and it meets my needs, it all boils down to what you are going to do with what you have, dont go spend a fortune on something that you are not going to use the full potiental of, i mean my 2.4 compared to the new 3.4 that they are comming out with is almost the same when web browsing, or even playing wolf, you cant really notice the difference....maybe a half second when opening a page....but on wolf, id just get a kick ass video card, and a good (not excelent) processor.....but then again it all depends on what you are going to use it on.......There is a man that lives on my street, i mow his yard, he still has, and uses his old IBM 586.
You cant hold back the liquid...ohhh...ohhh...lol...jk.
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

im sure everyone on these forums has some sort of illegal software...hell everything on my computer except wolf is illegal....I liked the game so much I decided to delete my cracked version, so I could support the makers so they make new and better games. :twisted: :lol: :D :D
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i'd recomend looking at a few things when looking at a processor...
1) how much is the previous model... eg if your looking at a 3.2Ghz and the 3.0 is 150 or so less and the 3.0 is only 20 more than the 2.8, i'd buy the 3.0
2)what is it you plan to do... if it's hard core business stuff i'd look at intel, they have "relationships" with some software companies who write their software for their chips. If it's gaming athlon all the way
3) How long do you want this to last... don't buy an average chip if your gonna keep it for more than 3 years... that is all

ps
/fbi disclaimer "i don't steel any software, i'm an angle... no really i am... "
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

sure......we all know that gotenks has absolutely no pirated software..... :wink:
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

right i NEVER bought any pirated software
My Website
Boco

Post by Boco »

wolfenskater wrote:so by what you are telling me it sounds like the athalon model number tells how many mhz a comparible p4 would run like

I cant get linux (my stepdad loves microsoft, and loves their overpriced software)
can windows xp run a 64 bit processor, i thought they had to release a new os
also i have a fat 32 partition which is 32 bit
Thanks!!! for the advice i am going to get an athalon system in about a month

by the way could someone compare Fat32 with ?ntfs? (dont know what its called for sure)
FAT32 and NTFS are pretty different. For one thing, they are not compatible with each other.

::About FAT32::
FAT32 is based on the original FAT16 file system (commonly known as FAT). One of the major limits of the FAT16 file system was that it could not support hard drive partitions in excess of 2 GB. FAT32 was designed to support hard drives up to 2048 GB. Also, it solved an old FAT16 problem of limited cluster size.

<260 MB --- 512 byte cluster
260 MB - 8 GB --- 4 KB cluster
8 GB - 16 GB --- 8 KB cluster
16 GB - 32 GB --- 16 KB cluster
32 GB - 2048 GB --- 32 KB cluster

See, in the old FAT16 system, a 2GB partition had a cluster size of 32 KB, which would completely waste a lot of disk space.

Let me explain clusters for a second: File are stored in clusters on the hard disk. A cluster is composed of a bunch of 512 byte portions of the hard disk which are known as sectors. Each cluster can only hold one file. The computer assigns clusters with a specific location to minimize hard disk seek times. If you have a huge hard disk and files were just written onto it, the wait while your hard drive finds a certain file would be insanely long. Using clusters, the hard disk can skip sections of the hard disk at a single time. Now, let me explain the problems and benefits of huge clusters. Big clusters = low seek time, but what if you store a 2 KB file in a 32 KB cluster? 30 KB is lost and unused.

Back to FAT32. In FAT32, your root directory can be anywhere on the hard disk. In FAT16, it had to be at the beginning of the hard disk. This was bad if the disk was damaged. Another benefit of FAT32 over FAT16 is that it can use its backup File Allocation Table. If the main File Allocation Table is damaged, the disk can still run from its backup Table. FAT16 can only use the main Table and cannot run from the backup Table. Now that you have a basic understanding of FAT32, lets go over NTFS.

::NTFS::
NTFS stands for Windows NT File System. It was designed with the idea that the file system needs to be capable of managing global and enterprise level systems. There have been a few versions of NTFS. NTFS4 was the first, and it came out with Windows NT. It is referred to simple as NTFS, though. In Windows 2000, NTFS was upgraded to NTFS5. NTFS5 included file encryption as well as additional security that NTFS4 did not have. Also, NTFS5 included a thing called Disk Quotas, which can limit the amount of hard disk space per user. NTFS file systems has features like Discretionary Access Control Lists (DACL) and System Access Control Lists (SACL). DACL and SACL can perform operations on a file and monitor events that will trigger the logging of actions performed on a file. NTFS also lets the system administrator set local file permissions to restrict access to files or directories. Plus, NTFS exceeds the hard drive size limit of FAT32. Another feature of NTFS is that you can CHANGE the cluster size, a feature that you couldn't do on FAT32. If you wanted 512 byte clusters on a 120 GB hard drive, you could (although I would hate to think of the seek times on it). Another big feature of NTFS over FAT is that the FAT file systems cannot recognize file names in any language besides English. FAT32 and FAT16 use the ASCII 8-bit character set for file and directory names, while NTFS uses Unicode 16-bit character sets. Another feature of NTFS is the ability for transactional logging. Whenever a modification is about to take place on the file system, NTFS makes a note of the modification in a special log file. Then, if the system crashes, NTFS can examine the log file and use it to restore the disk to a consistent state with minimal data loss. The term is called Fault Tolerance. FAT systems provide no fault tolerance.

Well, there you go. Hard Disk file systems 101 has been completed. Jeez, I sure hope this behemoth of a post will go through...
<[av]bani> anything which causes boco pain or suffering is \o/
<[av]bani> guns are cool. just saying the word 'gun' gives me a raging hardon.
<[av]bani> DO NOT MOCK HAPPY FUN BANI
<[av]bani> do not run over happy fun bani

* [NW]reyalP thinks he should write a book... "IP Law for fucking morons"
<KingJackaL> haha
<KingJackaL> I'd buy it : D
<WeblionX> I'd scan every page and put it up as a torrent!
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

gotenks wrote:right i NEVER bought any pirated software
right you may have NEVER BOUGHT and pirated software, but im sure that you have also never made any right??? :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

:poke: :silly:
i stand by what i said, oh and pirated software implies that it's sold... and i NEVER sold any either
My Website
SwERvE

Post by SwERvE »

gotenks wrote::poke: :silly:
i stand by what i said, oh and pirated software implies that it's sold... and i NEVER sold any either
Where do you get the idea that it implies that it is sold. That is bootlegs, piracy of software is the unauthorized use of someones production, invention, or conception especially in infringement of a copyright. As long as there is a license agreement using it is piracy, unless otherwise stated.
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

In summary: Athlon XP. Go for 2000 or higher I guess.

Hell, right now I'm using a 950Mhz Duron, and I'm not having any problems with it, running Windows XP. Though just to let you in on a hint, be prepared to have your room that the computers in be a few degrees warmer than the rest of the house.
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.