Remove skill levels, it's contrary to the spirit of stopwatch
45%
Keep skill levels, it's part of the game
55%

Total votes: 114

joerilla

Post by joerilla »

Keep skill levels, it's part of the game

That should be standart but a option to disable the skill system would be nice.
hiro

Post by hiro »

I prefer fast SW games with small teams and locked xp etc, but I can see that there are plenty of players who would like to play campaign matchs with larger teams and full xp. I'd even like to play the occasional full campaign against another clan as I can see the appeal and it would certainly be a step up from public server play.

I used to play in a ladder, but found the settings to be a poor compromise in trying to satisfy both camps. It was SW, but played more like four rushed campaigns back to back and the mentality was pretty much to gain xp through spamming so that you could spam even more. Coming from rtcw, to me that sort of play was very cheap and unsatisfying, winning or not.

my prefered sw settings would be along the lines of 6v6 with reduced time. For XP lock Meds, F-Os & Engys at lvl2, coverts at 3 and soldiers at 1. Battle Sense lock at 2 but Light Weapons perhaps leave open for players to accumulate xp (reset each round), as this is about the only XP in the game that rewards anything akin to skill.

I don't know what the answer is, whatever you do will upset someone. Perhaps more leagues should consider doing what TWL does and running two tournaments, one for campaign with xp and one for SW without.
Bedrock

Post by Bedrock »

heh, the EXP gets reset after each round, theres no problem with this... =/
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

with the xp retention on it keeps it through the AB part of it then resets
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
Bedrock

Post by Bedrock »

yea, only uhh. i forget which league.. uses that.. so its not needed. keep in mind this is a comp mod.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

it allready does have this????
My Website
Bedrock

Post by Bedrock »

hmm, i think its STA league.. maybe another league like that.. but they use the option that carries over EXP from ab then clears before going ba.. but other then that.. exp always gets cleared.
Blackout

Post by Blackout »

Maybe we could get a vote like this on TWL for the founders of teams on the SW ladder to vote on? I'm thinking this forum vote isn't really getting exclusively the people it was meant for. I know that's just one league out of many, but I don't see how else to do it :?
zeke

Post by zeke »

How about just letting the attacking team get skills?

Thinking about this XP-problem for over a month that is the best solution a can come up with. I truly see no bad things with a change like that. Everybody should be happy. Will be allot less spam from artillery, air strikes, panzer, mines, etc but the team on the offensive wont lose things that help them like a extra clip for medics and so on. Maps and games will be faster because it will be allot easier to attack, no more non stop artillery at all chokepoints. And the longer the game goes the stronger the attacking team will get so eventually they should manage to break trough the defence and set a time, which is the whole point of playing stopwatch.

XP is still in the game though, attacking team will get skills just like before with no restrictions. Think and hope people on both sides of this "conflict" can accept a change like this one.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

1. it'd be incredibly hard to impliment because there's no way for the game to know who's on offensive
2. i don't think that'd quite be fair, the offense has a level3 engineer planting dyno like mad and the poor l0 engineer on def can't disarm it
My Website
sib|blue

Post by sib|blue »

#1: Might be. Bani would have to say if it's impossible or not but it seems to be the only solution to a severe problem.

#2: Rofl! Good joke.
gotenks wrote:1. it'd be incredibly hard to impliment because there's no way for the game to know who's on offensive
2. i don't think that'd quite be fair, the offense has a level3 engineer planting dyno like mad and the poor l0 engineer on def can't disarm it
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

it wouldn't be impossible, HOWEVER he'd have to script it into the map, so only certain maps (that he alters) would it work
My Website
sib|blue

Post by sib|blue »

In other words it would be as easy to implement as those changes to battery/fueldump? By scripting it "into the map" and the need for him to "alter certain maps" I take it you mean that there would have to be a separate new map.script for each map much like the battery.script that's in etpro\cal\maps\ - for example? Doesn't seem like that big a reach to me.

Maybe we'll get to see a season where teams actually set times and the spamming is reduced then after all?!
gotenks wrote:it wouldn't be impossible, HOWEVER he'd have to script it into the map, so only certain maps (that he alters) would it work
eagle_be_

Post by eagle_be_ »

dunno if its already sead or that someone important wil read this but idd like to keep the XP, and to reduce spam i would like less mines(about 6) and delete FFE's, they are only spam annyways, u cant use FFE for annything else then to spam a chokepoint
and for panzer: i like the clanbase way where u limmit upgrades till level 3 :-P

also the maps we now have gold and oasis should be over faster
for goldrush i think placing the gold infront of the bank(at the door that blows) instead of in teh back where u easely can camp and hold the map for 25mins
on oasis making the axis spawn inside the castle(in the room over the ladder) that way axis could go 3ways and wont get spawncamped, and make allies spawn mutch closer(maybe a retakable flag behind the castle)

and battery and fueldump: just throw em away and use customs instead

faster maps would make it more fun in wars, rolling the tank and opening the bank in 5mins to spend 20mins inside the bank is too boring :s
customs is another reason to make the maps faster: if all maps have about the same length it wil be easyer to use more customs

and happy X-mass :mrgreen:
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

Keep XP.

Competitions can tweak XP levels as they see fit.