Question: ETPRO crashes client

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

BlackJudas

Question: ETPRO crashes client

Post by BlackJudas »

I've setup a server with custom campaigns, watermark and the shader script mentioned here in another thread.

Question is, it seems that when people connect and download the mandatory pk3 which contains the campaign info as well as the watermark, they either freeze right there, or afterwards after about 2-5 mins in the game. ET locks up solid.

This seems to happen to other servers I've been on or to admins that I've talked to, though it is a pub, I intend it to be a competitive server.

Other things other pubs that probably don't have implemented:

Level limits for panzer and field ops.
XP changes in upgrades.
The mandatory 1 panzer/MG/Flamer/Mortar limit per team.

I can't think of anything else, but before we get into semantics, I just mentioned it to see if it may have to do with ET pro crashing the client.

If you want to have a go at it, try it out at

64.246.39.118:27960 (Campaign mode)

Oh while I'm at it, I'm setting up a secondary server in stopwatch mode only, my question here is with Battery, specifically the ramp, will ETPro just read the maps directory and make it dyno only in sw mode? Or will I need to configure something?

Second thing, how do I modify each maps time limit? Will this default in etpro? Again, these are going to be pub settings, I haven't tried this yet but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

for your problem do you have http redirect, for the rest i'll let the other experts help you out
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
BlackJudas

Post by BlackJudas »

Yes http redirect is enabled.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

that's an error with ET, i think i read somewhere here that it has something to do with the server having incorrect MIME type or somthing...
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
deMarco

Post by deMarco »

Will the HTTP redirect bug be fixed in any future release soon as it looks now?
deMarco
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

its an engine bug. not something that can be fixed in a mod.
BlackJudas

Post by BlackJudas »

Oh gah!

So that means everytime someone plays a new campaign, and anything needs to be d/l'ed ... crash. Good luck having that same person come back to play.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

so that why we got so less ppl on or server :lol:
Chairman Kaga

Post by Chairman Kaga »

bani wrote:its an engine bug. not something that can be fixed in a mod.
It is possibly something we can solve server-side? I don't know about that MIME type issue that it's rumored to be, but if that's all it is I could force the MIME type for pk3s on our redirect server. It's better than having no solution at all.
Steve (aka Chairman Kaga)
Proud member of Major League Killers
=MLK= International House of Panzer: 64.185.229.60:27960
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

et's download system is somewhat flawed. playing around with mimetypes might help, it's unclear at the moment what's making the clients upset. or it may just be that the client is buggy and nothing can be done at the moment. nobody knows.

i'm sure all server admins would like a definitive answer on the mimetype issue, it is known that certain http servers do mess up the downloads and it would be nice to pin it down to specifics.
deMarco

Post by deMarco »

Welp - is there anyone on here that has the webserver download thing working? If so, what kind of setup is the server being hosted on?

What could be interesting is seeing if changing from an IIS server to an Apache +++ server helps...because I have played on several servers where this actually works as a charm.
deMarco
Lekdevil.NL

Post by Lekdevil.NL »

I hadn't heard of the MIMEtype connection yet. What I've found so far is that downloading anything (maps, mods, whatever) from a redirect server whilst the ET server has sv_wwwDlDisconnected set to "1", causes the client to crash some seconds after it auto-reconnects to the server when the download is completed.

When setting sv_wwwDlDisconnected to "0", no crashes occur.

All this happens with my own web server, which serves the pk3 files with a text/plain MIMEtype.

In any case, NOT using the disconnect-while-downloading feature seems to be a workaround. However, this will eat up slots on the server while clients are downloading their stuff, of course...

HTH.
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

Lekdevil.NL wrote:All this happens with my own web server, which serves the pk3 files with a text/plain MIMEtype.
Try application/zip or application/pk3 as mime type. On our servers it worked like a charm with sv_wwwDlDisconnected at 1. But be aware that disconnected downloads can generate way more traffic (this is the reason why we had to disable the www downloads completly) because there can be far more clients downloading at the same time.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Lekdevil.NL wrote:All this happens with my own web server, which serves the pk3 files with a text/plain MIMEtype.
just returning different mimetypes doesnt necessarily mean the webserver will break stuff.

its the webservers which actually try to interpret the pk3 as text/plain and convert carriage returns etc. that cause the problems.
Lekdevil.NL

Post by Lekdevil.NL »

Yeah. In that case we might be discussing two seperate problems in this thread. The client crash I'm describing happens with disconnected, redirected downloads. The files do get transferred without getting corrupted by the web server, however. To me, that indicates the problem lies with the client engine code that handles the download process.

However, I will try to change the mime type on my web server and see if it makes a difference.