Feature request: Better 'logins'

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

KingJackaL

Feature request: Better 'logins'

Post by KingJackaL »

Better Logins

I know I've whined about this before, but I really do think this should be improved. Basically, I feel that Semi-admin, Ref and Shoutcaster should have a GUI method of login.

ATM people bring down the console, and type in /ref <PW>, /sa <PW>, /sclogin <PW> etc. However, there are a couple of downsides to this:

- if you stuff up and leave off the '/', you broadcast a sensitive password.
- you have to know the console command ( and despite the easy names, it's not all THAT intuitive when your shoutcasters are multi-game casters, and don't necissarily play/follow et/etpro that closely )

I would ask that one (or a couple) of the following be implemented to improve this (or of course a superior solution if you think of one :) ):

Console Filters

Filters on failed ref and semi-admin logins to improve the first problem massively. ATM I have a swear-filter with 'ref' in it to block failed ref login attempts. However, this also means people can't say any sentence with 'ref, prefer' etc in it - and that's a PITA. Blocking 'sa' would be even worse. Now, I haven't slipped up and given away my Semi-admin pass by default... but if I start giving the semi-admin pass's out, I know it WILL happen sooner or later ( probably sooner ).

In short, there should be a dedicated default filter which would filter any chat line beginning with the characters 'ref ' or 'sa ' ( note the significant space characters there ).

Seperate password cvar

Rcon doesn't suff that first problem so much. You set /rconpassword in your configs, then just use /rcon <CMD> in-game. It doesn't matter if you stuff it up - you're not typing the password into a potential mm1 line. /refpassword, /sapassword, /shoutcastpassword... ?

GUI login

Especially usefull for /shoutcastlogin, but also for /sa and /ref, this would allow people who don't live and breath etpro to easily be able to login ( in my case, I'd be keenest to see this available for /shoutcastlogin - as ATM I get asked what the command is EVERY time. I know it's a simple command... butt.... ). You could put this anywhere - though the main game menu/etpro menu might be the easiest inclusion.

Thoughts?

Tab Autocompletion

Not really a feature request, but I'm just curious. Why do commands like '/mvactivate' tab-autocomplete, but commands like '/cheaters' fail to do so? :?
ReyalP

Re: Feature request: Better 'logins'

Post by ReyalP »

KingJackaL wrote:
Not really a feature request, but I'm just curious. Why do commands like '/mvactivate' tab-autocomplete, but commands like '/cheaters' fail to do so? :?
Depends where the command is recognized. Ones that are known to the client get tab completion. If the mod has a client component, it is possible to fudge this so commands that are really server side still complete. Some of the OSP stuff does this.

Agree that password usage could be better.
send lawyers, guns and money
[FF]Adam

Post by [FF]Adam »

you should just load the pw's into your game profile, that's what i do, so i never have to type a pw in.......much safer that way too, cause if i ever forget the / then it just shows what i'm about to do...........which is usually rcon pb_sv_ban 15 spawnkillin :P
www.thefunnyfarm.net

130:13:82:5:27960
tFF original 4 map
r0nin

Post by r0nin »

[FF]Adam wrote:you should just load the pw's into your game profile, that's what i do, so i never have to type a pw in.......much safer that way too, cause if i ever forget the / then it just shows what i'm about to do...........which is usually rcon pb_sv_ban 15 spawnkillin :P
not really an option for shoutcasters who tend to have very little say in the serversearch ;)
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

[FF]Adam wrote:you should just load the pw's into your game profile, that's what i do, so i never have to type a pw in.......much safer that way too, cause if i ever forget the / then it just shows what i'm about to do...........which is usually rcon pb_sv_ban 15 spawnkillin :P
Read my post again and you'll notice I mention that rcon has a better system for password management - and that in particular it is ref, sa and shoutcast that needs the improvements ;).

If /ref and /sa could work that same as /rcon, that'd be great. Admins could just /set refpassword <PW> once in their console while offline, then they'd be good to go :).
Deus

Post by Deus »

:thumbup: 100 % agree for we have some
in our Clan this would be useful.
[FF]Adam

Post by [FF]Adam »

gah, i read to fast.....sorry

i have my ref pw set in my cfg?? while i scrolled through the cfg way back when i saw the cmd in there, so i entered it......or am i missing something? i hardly ever use the thing, guess i'll pay attention now

i think it was seta refereepassword "?"

but i see the shoutcaster issue
www.thefunnyfarm.net

130:13:82:5:27960
tFF original 4 map
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

[FF]Adam wrote: i think it was seta refereepassword "?"
No, this sets the ref password on the server side. You still need to login with /ref password to gain ref access.
Grim|EFG

Re: Feature request: Better 'logins'

Post by Grim|EFG »

KingJackaL wrote: ATM I have a swear-filter with 'ref' in it to block failed ref login attempts. However, this also means people can't say any sentence with 'ref, prefer' etc in it - and that's a PITA. Blocking 'sa' would be even worse. Now, I haven't slipped up and given away my Semi-admin pass by default... but if I start giving the semi-admin pass's out, I know it WILL happen sooner or later ( probably sooner )
Why not add the passwords to the swear filter?
Deus

Post by Deus »

because players can query server-cvars with punkbuster if enabled. some leagues force it to be allowed for players can check if server cvars are properly set.

so this way is not very good,

I think replacing the "space" as divider with another sign will do it. , or ; for example
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i agree guid logins would indeed bew handy most whit the new etpro stable guid
Bedrock

Post by Bedrock »

I'm interested, how does bani plan to have static GUIDs?
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

Bedrock wrote:I'm interested, how does bani plan to have static GUIDs?
its based on your hardware config now and not on cd key
daemord

Post by daemord »

so its still changeable, just alot harder, thats an improvement, only thing, what about 1 system the same as another, i would say not that hard for this to accidently happen, and i would hate to be banned cause some1 with a 1900+ decided to go tking people (obviously other things the same as well but u get my point)
IdNotFound

Post by IdNotFound »

daemord wrote:so its still changeable, just alot harder, thats an improvement, only thing, what about 1 system the same as another, i would say not that hard for this to accidently happen, and i would hate to be banned cause some1 with a 1900+ decided to go tking people (obviously other things the same as well but u get my point)
It's based on serial codes I believe... Otherwise we couldn't trust it.
Image nZ/IdNotFound
NaZGûL TeaM Leader
SAWL Tech Staff