29%
no
71%

Total votes: 73

Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

bani wrote:
Ragnarok|GER wrote:
Ragnarok|GER wrote:so a noob using sniperrifles will be able to take out a very skilled smg-player and that's just not the way a COMPETITION-MOD should be.
lets see. a noob with a mortar can take out a very skilled smg player. so we should remove the mortar now?
no, he can't. not in competition. not against clever and skilled enemies. you need a very skilled mortar to take out some good competition players because they will change their positions after they figured out the enemy team is using a mortar.
you need a very skilled sniper to take out some good competition players because they willl change their positions after they figured out the enemy team is using a sniper.
that's right as long as we're talking about an attacking sniper. a attacking team can't change their positions because they don't have static ones.
it wasnt a problem in rtcw, and i fail to see how it would be a problem in et.
it will shrenghten the defense, that's the problem.
kekkyoku

Post by kekkyoku »

Ragnarok|GER wrote:
bani wrote:
Ragnarok|GER wrote:and _please_ guys, "things used to be like that in rtcw" is just no argument. for god's sake: et isn't rtcw! live with it!
equally valid statement: just because something is in rtcw isn't a reason to exclude it from et.

using your logic, let's remove needles, grenades, mp40, thompson, panzerfaust, airstrikes, artillery, dynamite, etc. if it's in rtcw then it's forbidden in et!
i never said that and i think you know it. im no native speaker so i'm not as excellent in the english language like you guys are, but i think you should be able to figure out what i mean.
i don't think you should abuse your advantage in eloquence in order to ignore my arguments.
i can't force you to discuss with me in german, french or italian, can i? so please be fair and take me serious, even if i express myself like a dumbass.

i'll try to explain it more clearly:
good things from rtcw CAN be good in et, but they dont have to.
i also think a balanced sniper would be a great thing for public play (10.000 damage given and 10 kills is just a joke..) but in competition they will change gameplay for sure. in my opinion it will strenghten the defense, and that's a bad thing. it will result in more fullholds.
maybe we're misunderstanding each other because of the differences in european and american way of competion. in america, you guys are playing 8on8, in the old world it's 6on6. so if a defending sniper takes out 3 guys it wouldn't be that big problem for an 8-man squad. its quite possible to complete an objective with 5 against 8 players, but 3on6 would be much harder.
Ragnarok|GER wrote:so a noob using sniperrifles will be able to take out a very skilled smg-player and that's just not the way a COMPETITION-MOD should be.
lets see. a noob with a mortar can take out a very skilled smg player. so we should remove the mortar now?
no, he can't. not in competition. not against clever and skilled enemies. you need a very skilled mortar to take out some good competition players because they will change their positions after they figured out the enemy team is using a mortar.
In the big american leagues we play 6v6. And yes a noob mortar can just click and a skilled smg'er can just happen to be there. At least with the sniper rifle it requires aiming and will probably be alot harder to use than RtCW because of the ET smgs. ET smgs are really accurate long range so even if the sniper damage is beefed up it will be hard to run one effectivly.
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

depends on the strength of the sniper.
right now it's a joke. a bit more damage would be ok. a finger of god (1-hit-kill) would be too much.
but the main rgument against the strong sniper is still the same: it will stenghten the defense.
/*Demoman*/

Post by /*Demoman*/ »

or weaken the power of medics.. god forbid et has a weapon other than a exploding weapon to stop full revive medics :roll:

et gives the medics more health upwards of 150+ (rtcw max was 140)
et gives medics faster med packs
et gives medics full revive
et gives medics adrenaline

yet ET weakens any weapon that used to stop medics in rtcw

panzers splash radius reduced
sniper rifle damage reduced

true the k43 instant shot when you push the button and smaller recoil wouldnt work for a an 80 hd rifle... however anyone who has played rtcw's mauser knows that if you delay the next fire time and increase the recoil the weapon isnt all that more powerful than the et rifle when it comes to uses.. what it loses in recoil and time it makes up for with hd

imho hd is more important than fast recovery when it comes to usefulness

the difference is instead of getting 2 body shots of 35 hd(70) in 2 seconds you get 1 80 hd

thats only 10 hit damage difference but gibbing this could be a big difference

headshot however is bigger damage.. but it takes more skill to get a headshot than just pointing and clicking...its not a panzer( aim and let fly)

the chances of constantly getting headshots against of moving target is a hell of a lot less than an smg spraying bullets everywhere
Last edited by /*Demoman*/ on Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

imtooweak4u: ever seen "The Matrix"? here, this is really geeky, but i'll quote it.

<Morpheus> Do you think that me being stronger or faster, has anything to do with my muscles in this place...

<Neo> *pant* *pant*

<Morpheus> Do you think thats air your breathing?

if you catch my drift, awesome. if not then here's where i'll explain it for you.

This is a computer game, there is no air to slow down the bullet. ET is an arcade style "realism" FPS. when i say realism, i mean it in the way that its not as arcade like as quake 3, but it also isnt as "real" as urban terror, or counterstrike, or call of duty.

imho, there isnt a distance long enough for you to shoot in this game where in "real life" the bullet would slow down that much to barely damage a person.

you're spending twice the ammo to kill someone long distance than you would short range. seems kind of silly to me.

)) NewdeaL
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

/*Demoman*/ wrote:or weaken the power of medics.. god forbid et has a weapon other than a panzer to stop full revive medics :roll:
"man muss feuer mit feuer bekämpfen."

what about another medic?
besides, there are medics used on both sides, offense and defense. the power of medics has nothing to do with the balance between both sides.
/*Demoman*/

Post by /*Demoman*/ »

dude I like the medics.. but once again I point out that god forbid we have a weapon other than an exploding weapon to stop full revive medics

a team full of medics isnt my idea of a good time :roll:
Last edited by /*Demoman*/ on Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

bani wrote:
Ragnarok|GER wrote:and _please_ guys, "things used to be like that in rtcw" is just no argument. for god's sake: et isn't rtcw! live with it!
equally valid statement: just because something is in rtcw isn't a reason to exclude it from et.

using your logic, let's remove needles, grenades, mp40, thompson, panzerfaust, airstrikes, artillery, dynamite, etc. if it's in rtcw then it's forbidden in et!

makes about as little sense as your argument :lol:
err, no. it wasnt this way in rtcw nor would it be in et.

maybe its the case in cod or some other fps, but in rtcw it wasnt a problem.

why would it suddenly become a problem in et?

how about that mg42? noobs can mow down skilled smg players with it, no skill needed. lets remove the mg42?
bani shut the club down.

i imagine that if sniper rifles had "rtcw" damage, the unscoped spread of the sniper rifle would be similar to the unscoped rtcw spread. in rtcw, it was always hillarious to see someone get mausered unscoped, because its just a luck random ass shot.

the reason alot of people want to see certain things from rtcw come over to ET is because they worked well. snipers were effective, long distance shooting was a desireable skill. in ET, no one cares how well you shoot long distance, its all about "the duels"...the oh so glorious 1v1's all over the map, not the guy dropping the hammer from 50yds. away. Seeing an awesome sniper stand off is always makes for a great show (see RtCW CAL-i finals Doctors vs Abuse)

)) NewdeaL
/*Demoman*/

Post by /*Demoman*/ »

NewdeaL wrote:
the reason alot of people want to see certain things from rtcw come over to ET is because they worked well. snipers were effective, long distance shooting was a desireable skill. in ET, no one cares how well you shoot long distance, its all about "the duels"...the oh so glorious 1v1's all over the map, not the guy dropping the hammer from 50yds. away. Seeing an awesome sniper stand off is always makes for a great show (see RtCW CAL-i finals Doctors vs Abuse)
yup.. the rifle was my passion.... still is.. but et rifle is lame.. its a pea shooter.. nothing more than a staller until your teamates get to where you are shooting with smgs
NewdeaL wrote: i imagine that if sniper rifles had "rtcw" damage, the unscoped spread of the sniper rifle would be similar to the unscoped rtcw spread. in rtcw, it was always hillarious to see someone get mausered unscoped, because its just a luck random ass shot.
or you can do what I did.. just leave the unscoped rifle alone but make the rifle scoped play like the mauser in rtcw

the 2 dont have to be the same.. the fg42 scoped isnt the same damage as unscoped
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

demoman: http://newdeal.20inchdongs.com/rtcwsoundpack.zip

add it to rtcwmod!!!!11oneuno

you might want to edit/adjust the artillery sounds yourself, they dont match up quite right

)) NewdeaL
/*Demoman*/

Post by /*Demoman*/ »

I know about it.. I used to have it in my mod.. but I wont add it now because its not "legal" and I would like to see my mod being played on those servers who like to abide by the law.. I had to deal with a server that refused to use my pk3 because it contained rtcw stuff... which is why is you look at old rtcwmod pictures it contains the actual rtcw compass and stopwatch

I took them out and had a friend create tga likenesses of the rtcw ones with his own twist

but no one can stop a server from using the files on his own server if he wants to... hint hint :D
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

/*Demoman*/ wrote:dude I like the medics.. but once again I point out that god forbid we have a weapon other than an exploding weapon to stop full revive medics

a team full of medics isnt my idea of a good time :roll:
i just don't get your point. may you repeat it without using slang, please?
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

ragnarok: he didnt use slang. english must not be your first language.

at any rate: demoman, could you post some ip's of servers that are running your mod? i want to play it, but i can never find any servers running it.

it might just give some of these people an understanding of rtcw

)) NewdeaL
Sif=RoK=

Post by Sif=RoK= »

but the main rgument against the strong sniper is still the same: it will stenghten the defense.
i've seen snipers be used more on offence and defence to date..

a couple of high ranking teams run a sniper on radar for offence, not defence, and it works quite well.

if we could get a cvar (off by default), we could atleast test it out, and see if it really improves the quality of play or not :)
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

NewdeaL wrote:ragnarok: he didnt use slang. english must not be your first language.
you're right. that's why it's sometimes really hard for me to follow the discussion.
but i just don't get his point. does he feal lucky because of the existence of weapons which can stop a medic, or not? and what the hell does he mean with "god forbid"? must be a slang term i don't know yet.
sorry, i must getting on your nerves with these questions. -_-''
@sif i don't know any clans using a sniper on radar when attacking. sometimes they use a cvop when defending in order to satchel the commandpost.