Competition Config Security ?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Sphere

Competition Config Security ?

Post by Sphere »

I may be mistaken, but I'm sure I read somewhere that ET Pro v 3 introduced a feature which would allow configs for major competitions to be locked in so that they were uneditable.

At the moment you can just change the .config file to whatever settings you want and it still appears to be the official version.

Can one of the developers please advise on whether this function is available because all major competitions should be using it.

gotenks

Post by gotenks »

a .config file is just a file, aslong as someone has access to the server someone can change it... there is no way to change this other than using an encryption, which i don't believe et is capable of doing
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
coda'uk

Post by coda'uk »

nah does not have to be that bad, it can be done using checksums on the core files and settings, and have messages like 'clanbase and rtcw.no config loaded, config has been altered'
IdNotFound

Post by IdNotFound »

Well, the feature exists. The question is:

Is it bani that is not generating the digital signatures (feature needs tweaking?), or is it the league admins that are not asking him to do it? ;)
Image nZ/IdNotFound
NaZGûL TeaM Leader
SAWL Tech Staff
Vio

Post by Vio »

The option to certify configs was added back in january. click me
I've repeatedly told cb&rtcw.no to certify their config with bani, but they haven't done it.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Ah hey vio.
I can easily imagine that it's CB and rtcw.no that are dragging their heels, but I want to be sure that the digital signature is actually an option before I join you in harrassing them :)

We played on a server recently that had clearly had the config changed, not a great deal, but enough to serve as a reminder that it's open to abuse.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Lake have done several attempts to get Bani to give the "ClanBase & rtcw.no"-config the signature in question, but so far without luck. I have no idea why it is so hard to get this signature and afaik Lake don`t know either.
I talked to him latest today and he will do another try to get this done.

But belive me, it have been a subject in our conversations several times...
http://www.rtcw.no #rtcw.no:ET
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

because each time the config has been sent to me i pointed out obvious and glaring errors. then i never received any fixed version.
Vio

Post by Vio »

Ok we made a new version that is certified. It looks like this and should be out soon.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

I'd like to submit one on behalf of the Savage League / Cup. Bani - what's the process for doing so ? And what are the obvious errors that need to be avoided ?
Frag_Master

Post by Frag_Master »

I would also like to subit one for the Wolfenstein ExTreme tournament which is coming up soon and the .config is almost finished. You can view the current ExTreme.config Here

I have included all the necessary items such as g_filtercams 1, sv_cheats 0 and set nextmap "".

Thanks

Mike
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Oki, seems our work regarding the certification haven`t been good enough. As Vio said the issues in questions have now been corrected and the config have been certified.
Amazing how things tend to get fixed if you just focus correctly :wink:
http://www.rtcw.no #rtcw.no:ET
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

if you want a config certified, please post it on the official league website somewhere so i can verify it's being posted officially on authority of that league.

it's also good to post it publically before getting it certified, so players and admins can correct errors and suggest changes.
daemord

Post by daemord »

just a wee addition (sorry if wrong place but i hope someone will notice)
But the now released official Clanbase config, isnt it gonna have probs with the latest ET Pro as sv_pure isnt at the top, i thought it had to be not sure???
and i personally would prefer banners turned off for competition play yet if i modify the config file to add b_banners 0 then obviously its altered so is there any way of doing this at all that wont muck up somewhere.
Frag_Master

Post by Frag_Master »

Well, you can turn off banners on your own server by specifying it in the server.cfg. Although, i agree with you and think that when playing a Clanwar banners shouldn't be on, so perhaps Clanbase will consider adding b_banners 0 into their clanwar.config

Mike