Medic Class Restrictions

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

NewdeaL

Re: Medic Class Restrictions

Post by NewdeaL »

ChopperWeeD wrote:Now alot of various restrictions have been introduced to the game and for the better.

I have always believe that the medic has always been one of the strongest classes in the game.

A medic:
  • has more health than any other class.
  • Can pack them selves.
  • Can bring pack team mates from the dead.
What I hate the most is when you see teams do a medic rush in order to take a spawn flag or something of the like.

My idea to restrict them and make them more dependent on there team mates would be to have them spawn with limited syringes.

Medics spawn with a standard 10 which is alot and is very rare that you will ever see a medic run out.

I believe it would be very interesting to see medics spawn and be limited to like only 4 or 5 syringes and make them more reliable on fieldops for ammo. Thus making the game more strategic.

you are an idiot.

)) NewdeaL
Grizbo

Re: Medic Class Restrictions

Post by Grizbo »

NewdeaL wrote:you are an idiot.
Is it the guy that makes a clear, considered post on a subject the one who's an idiot, or is it the one posting the moronic insult reply with no further explanation?

On topic, I don't feel a need to change medics as a whole at the moment, but a cvar limiting them, as other classes might be ok so those that do care about too many will have something to enforce it with. I am a bit wary of too many cvar limits on classes being imposed (not offered per se, but being actually used by the league/server) since it has the potential to completely shape the team selection in the end. "You're only allowed 1 soldier, 1 field op, 2 medics, a covert and an engineer" etc, taking away a bit of the freedom to try different mixes and pick the team you want to pick. Some limits are good, but too much restricts things, in my opinion. Still, fine as long as not abused by admins.
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

Certainly limiting Medic's syringes would be a bad idea, as it punishes them for doing what they're supposed to do, keeping their team alive. The issue with Meds is that 1-on-1 with another SMG class they have an unfair advantage.

You fix that by either making them easier to kill (take away the health advantage), or less effective as a fighting class (give 'em a weaker weapon, like the Sten).

I'd favour the "easier to kill" solution, same health as other classes and no re-gen, although they should still be able to pack themselves just like they can pack their team-mates.

Although I wouldn't mind the weaker weapon option either, like giving them a Sten, even though a "stealth" weapon hardly fits their role.

As a Med who plays the class as it's supposed to be played, i.e. backup rather than rambo killing machine (crappy aim having a lot to do with that of course ;) ) having a Sten wouldn't disadvantage me too much, or make too much difference in Clan wars, but it would sure as hell reduce the number of rambo Meds on pubs!
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

Just an idea:

I think reducing ammo would nerf the medic a bit and make the role as ammo distributor more important for the field op.

Medic starts with 30 bullits for smg and 24 (8/16) for luger or colt, plus a nade.
Max ammo: 30/60 instead of 30/90 and 8/24 instead of 8/32
light weapon 1: max ammo raises to 30/90 (instead of 30/120) and 8/32
medic lvl 1: extra nade and full luger ammo at spawn(being 8/24 or 8/32)

So medics would always spawn with 30 bullits instead of 60(which you always have after a few minutes now). Just like in RTCW where medics did just fine.
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

SickBoy wrote:So medics would always spawn with 30 bullits instead of 60(which you always have after a few minutes now). Just like in RTCW where medics did just fine.
The difference is:-

* In ET the ROF is slower, enabling Meds to re-gen / run away and pack etc. to greater effect.

* In ET Ammo racks give them access to ammo beyond what they get from Field-Ops.

* In ET they can pick up enemy weapons.

So limiting ammo would help, but it wouldn't nerf Meds to the point where they're no longer the uber-killing machines they are now.

Limiting Meds health is the only way to bring them down to the same level as everyone else. The question is: Who would benefit the most? Offense or Defense?
DG

Post by DG »

Grizbo wrote:
NewdeaL wrote:you are an idiot.
Is it the guy that makes a clear, considered post on a subject the one who's an idiot, or is it the one posting the moronic insult reply with no further explanation?
since when has ad hominem not been a perfectly valid argument in the online community? ;)

if anything was to be done against medic, i'd just make the gib damage somewhat reduced, if not as low as rtcw (actually only by about 1/2 bullets would be preferable). someone said this is more a pub thing - actually its ettv where i saw it as a significant problem rather than the rarely significant one that it is on pubs. You can kill a medic and a competent medic close can revive them before they get gibbed, even if you dont take the finger off the fire button and are too close to miss, you have to actually sit on the dead guy to block him from the other medic. similar thing, to a lesser extent when its just medics staying behind cover and reviving defenders (esp if anothe rmedic...) at a bottleneck - yeah this is their job but it shouldnt be impossible for attackers. A second reason this would weaken defenders more than attackers is like Spark2 said, going into limbo is generally a much bigger deal for the defense. Perhaps thirdly, at bottlenecks theres often two defenders firing at one attacker while attackers fire is less focused, so defenders gib quicker than attackers.

As a plus, its not even messing about with et even more - its slightly reducing a previous change to et.

the only alternative imho is reducing their max health.

-------

I'd rather not make them a cvar variable, except temporarily on a testbugfix so it can be tested, there's more than enough variation options on the basics already IMHO. Either its good enough & suitable for all or it just isnt good enough. Sure, someone will arrogantly whine about who cares about publics blah blah but like it as not the incredible dominance of etpro on publics means it affects them just as much, and hence while you may or may not think you're l33t and important really clanned players do not have any more right than pubbers do. anyway, who wants to be playing in leagues that all have significant differences in fundamental things like how easy it is to kill/limbo players?
ender-wiggin

so is anything being done?

Post by ender-wiggin »

lots of ideas in here. Are any of these ideas about changing the covies and the medics being addressed? I know it wouldn't be hard to try changing the gib level for a friendly scrim on say radar and oasis to see how it plays out. This should probably be the first thing tried without restricting any classes, just to see how it plays?

Oh yeah, and instead of changing the medic max health, would it be possible to make it so that the medic can't health up past, say 100? The rest of the points will "charge up" like they do without health packs.
ender-wiggin

Post by ender-wiggin »

oh yeah, oh yeah.

I play RTCW sometimes for fun. In that game, I certainly notice that as a medic I'm always spamming for ammo. My pistol is usually out a lot and I try to fire my SMG in three rounds bursts. TRY that is. It makes it much harder to go rambo unless you've met up with an LT first. Even if you swap guns with the enemy (forget if you can really do that or not in RTCW), the rate of fire in RTCW ensures that you need a steady ammo supply. AND you need to keep that ammo suply alive. Granted ammo racks in ET might kill that.

Blah! my point is that it MIGHT be the ammo supply and slower ROF which makes medics in ET so deadly. Possibly ammo limits could be tested before completelty removing medic self health up, etc. I figure if I get owned by a pistol, I deserve to get owned.
LORD_T0m

Post by LORD_T0m »

imo the gibbing now takes to long and this helps the defending team more then the attacking team (at least thats how i experience it)
just a little faster gibbing could be 1 good way to nerf the medic
(at least the long revive/frag-fights)

the other part (ramboing medics[full medi rush etc] / hp-pack-eating defenders) is harder to fix me thinks...

the irritating part at fighting a medi is the fact that he has the same weap as yourself but has the regen/more hp (and in longer fights the packs)
so you could change 2 things nerf health/regen or give other weapon/take away his ammo

i dont like the hp nerf since that would just make the game more boring (less diff between classes etc) and it would damage the purpose of a medic

i like the id of giving the medi a sten but that would be weird not very effective at solving the prob and have other bad side effects (tk'ing your medi because you see him with sten for example)
why dont you just give him rifle only...
i would actually enjoy playing medi with a rifle (no riflenades ofcourse)
this would add a bit to realism (since rifles were more used then the smg's in ww2) and solve the problem

so my id is to make it harder for a medic to kill somebody, not easier to kill a medic...

for the cops part:
many ppl say the sniper isnt good in et
i dont agree it is actually a very good gun the problem is that there just arent any good 'sniper maps' in et

the only problem with sniping is u cant gib
+ fraggin a medic with sniper is very hard unless he is running in a very open place (wich dont exist in et maps)

just my 0.02€ btw no need to flame me if you thinks this is a stupid id
kekkyoku

Post by kekkyoku »

I suggest at this point to do the gib idea and lower the gib damage/time to see how that works out. For covops just give them a mauser (and lockpicking ^_^)
Amish z8')

Post by Amish z8') »

I've been preaching about taking away the med's ability to pick up guns from the other team since the game started, ala RtCW. That would force a lot of teams to ditch the med rush bs and start thinking for themselves.
Quidditch anyone? #awo on gamesnet.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

rtcw meds can pick up enemy smgs :)
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

bani wrote:rtcw meds can pick up enemy smgs :)
? HUH ? :)
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

meds can carry both thompson and mp40 (and sten?)
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

meds cant pick up stens. they can pick up thompson or mp40.