b_fixedphysicsfps vs. pmove_fixed 1

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

v3rtigo

b_fixedphysicsfps vs. pmove_fixed 1

Post by v3rtigo »

acording to clan base, if b_fixedphysicsfps 125 so you moving like you have 125 fps.

and if i got right, so pmove_fixed 1 do the same thing but client side.

but when i did b_fixedphysicsfps 125, my movment and jumping did not improved, and still i was moving like fps <125.

when i did pmove_fixed 1, it was ok.

so whats wrong?

because cb new cfg have cvar on pmove_fixed to set it 0.

EDIT: with some reason i wrote g_fixedphysicsfps and not b_....

tnx duke'ku :)
Last edited by v3rtigo on Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

b_fixedphysics
v3rtigo

Post by v3rtigo »

oops :oops:

but they have b_fixedphysicsfps 125
should it be b_fixedphysics 125?
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

v3rtigo wrote:oops :oops:

negative

Code: Select all

b_fixedphysicsfps 125 //the amount of fps to move at
b_fixedphysics 1 //turns it on or off
v3rtigo

Post by v3rtigo »

=FF=im2weak4u wrote:
v3rtigo wrote:oops :oops:

negative

Code: Select all

b_fixedphysicsfps 125 //the amount of fps to move at
b_fixedphysics 1 //turns it on or off
yes, but still when pmove_fixed enabled so i move faster.

y?
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

I'm not too sure about this, but some maps (trickjump maps) seem to redefine what pmove_fixed does (example: maniac mansion and the q3 ocp or whatever map). So do you have the difference on regular maps as well? And you haven't accidentaly got pmove_msec on anything but 8?
v3rtigo

Post by v3rtigo »

Don't play tj maps, and msec was 8, but just when pmove_fixed 1, i jump much bettar.
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

i thought this was server side settings, is fixedphysics client side?

and will it help me jump further atm i can only just reach 43 fps.

if it is client side i aint got those cvars in my cfg (and its write protected) so thats why i aint noticed any difference ;)
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

b_fixedphysics doesn't have the same effect as pmove. It's similar, but it's not the same - b_fixedphysics only changes the jump velocity AFAIK. My example.cfg explains it a little better:

http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~evans/ET/example.cfg

Oh, and a stupid Q. Do clanbase set b_fixedphysics? Cos if they're setting b_fixedphysicsfps, but b_fixedphysics is 0 or 2, it won't actually do anything...
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

most jumps are much easier without pmove. it's more accurate.
the most important thing about jumping is not how far you get but how accurate you jump. so keep on trying ;)
v3rtigo

Post by v3rtigo »

Ragnarok|GER wrote:most jumps are much easier without pmove. it's more accurate.
the most important thing about jumping is not how far you get but how accurate you jump. so keep on trying ;)
why every1 thinks it's becaose of jumping :)

u just move faster with pmove_fixed 1, move fast can help u in lot of things :)
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

KingJackaL wrote:Oh, and a stupid Q. Do clanbase set b_fixedphysics? Cos if they're setting b_fixedphysicsfps, but b_fixedphysics is 0 or 2, it won't actually do anything...
Yes, the CB settings are b_fixedphysics 1 and b_fixedphysicsfps 125. Using those, and with com_maxfps 43, I get 125-like jumping ability, in that I can make jumps now that I never could previously.
v3rtigo

Post by v3rtigo »

Kendle wrote:
KingJackaL wrote:Oh, and a stupid Q. Do clanbase set b_fixedphysics? Cos if they're setting b_fixedphysicsfps, but b_fixedphysics is 0 or 2, it won't actually do anything...
Yes, the CB settings are b_fixedphysics 1 and b_fixedphysicsfps 125. Using those, and with com_maxfps 43, I get 125-like jumping ability, in that I can make jumps now that I never could previously.
dunno how you u get jump bettar with this, because i just used cb config, and tried to do gamma2 but couldn't reach even the 3rd, but when i used my own config, with pmove_fixed 1, there was no problem.
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

I can't comment on how the new CB config compares to either true 125FPS jumping, or pmove_fixed 1, as the former I can't attain and the latter I've never tried, but for example:-

Radar:-

Coming thru main door, the jump up to the ledge leading to the spinning radar. Could never do it before, now I can.

Going right thru main door, up the slope strafe and jump down and onto the wall surrounding West Radar (i.e. not having to go the long way round). Could never do that before, now I can.

Oasis:-

The Wall Jump!!! Yes, I can now do this too!!

I don't doubt skilled trick-jumpers could do all these at 43FPS, but I ain't a skilled trick-jumper. :wink:
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

i could do those before, but its at a struggle still (say 3 in 4 for wall jump, 2/5 for radar. so thats down to praccy), im just saying ive not noticed any difference from fixedphysics.

wondered if i should :S