RTCW legacy feature proposal...

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

/*Demoman*/ wrote:dropweapon to stop the panzer was the best thing ever... I dont even play panzer but the ability to stop your shot by +dropweapon was a hell of a lot easier to do than the lean thing we got in ET
so the most important thing for competition is to cut corners and make the game as easy as possible? maybe, *just maybe*, actually being forced to perfect your timing and judgement with the panzer, rather than being able to continuously "wind up" shots and cancel them in order to always be ready to fire a shot, would be abetter display of skill?

rather than winding up as u enter a room, then cancelling when u determine it's all clear, perhaps using the lean key to determine that instead?

slower i grant you, but possibly a better display of tactics and awareness of surroundings.
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i though this idea was already tryed to add but it was more compicated to add then they first though :roll:
RtcwPla0r

Post by RtcwPla0r »

Yeah, I wanted only a feature of simple dropweapon from rtcw, in rtcw it is not possible to bypass reloading sequence with dropping weapon so don't think about such exploits (canceling panzer with droping weapon was possible). Afaik dropping panzer when you want to shoot takes the same ammount of time as leaning to stop the shot. IMO it is great feature which is not changing game or gameplay only getting ppl good alternative for droping weapon feature and making it more realistic. Ofcourse it is a step for rtcw players which have sentiment for this lil thing :wink: .

Cheers!
All your base are belong to us!
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

rtcw had drop weapon exploids

overheat of vemon if its heated up drop it and pick it back up :D

and it makes ya switch to pistol quicker thne the time a pf need to cool down before you can switch :twisted:
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

1) lean does not work when u r diving thru the air/ moving. so this would make cancelling ur panzer shot available all the time .: that is a reason it will be gud in et

2) if its 15 seconds from ur spawntime, u have just called an FFE so have no charge, ur medic has no ammo. killing urself at this point to give ur ammo to ur medic is stupid, .: u would drop ur weapon, the med would pick it up and u would cope for the 15 seconds with just a pistol.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

just like people always do in rtcw, right?
RtcwPla0r

Post by RtcwPla0r »

Feature is for using how you going use this feature it is your choice. If I want to play with only pistol I can drop weapon to my m8, this is called freedom of choice.

Cheers!
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

@ouroboro

thats what every1 used to do that i knew in rtcw, i aint played rtcw in about 9 months competitively so i couldnt comment about now.

but who cares whether ppl do or do not use it in rtcw??? its a good feature, and imo should be implemented.

no one moaned when splash damage incorperated ALOT of OSP features from RTCW into vanilla ET. Like when i used to play RTCW no1 moaned when the OSP team incorperated alot of Quake features.

the idea is to take good features from other games, think whether they will be usefull in ET, implement them, test the features, add them to the final public release or scram them (or just add it as a cvar). = Improving the game.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

>>steven! wrote:the idea is to take good features from other games, think whether they will be usefull in ET, implement them, test the features, add them to the final public release or scram them (or just add it as a cvar). = Improving the game.
would be nice if people did think like this.

but all they can think of is "omg no that feature was in RTCW" or "omg no that feature was in CS" or "omg no that feature was in Q3".

well weapons were in Q3, so lets remove all weapons then :?

people should consider changes purely on the merit of the change itself, not whether it was in another game or not.

sadly it seems the et community is too immature for this.
RtcwPla0r

Post by RtcwPla0r »

I wonder does this going to be added to etpro in the future or is there a hope :?:

Cheers!
Spark2

Post by Spark2 »

Please, if you talk about +dropweapon, please consider that traditionally there are basically two different functionalities attached to it, one is evil, one is not. :)

First it's the function of dropping your weapon in the first place. This is not evil, because it might potentially increase the teamplay or allow to "lure" your opponent on a landmine, etc. It has no other effects and players could easily bind this to some obscure key on their keyboard because it's not very critical. Whether or not Panzerfausts should be allowed to cancel their shots this way is another issue, which I don't care about.

Second it's the function to automatically pick up new weapons from the ground, when the old one was dropped. This one is evil, because it practically invalidates the feature of ET which allows you to pick up new weapons without binding an additional key for it (by activating them). I say "invalidates", because dropping your weapon is faster, easier and less disturbing (because you don't have to look at the ground while you do it, which can be critical in heated moments). Adding another time critical button like this is really really bad and would effectively reduce the quality of the game controls. It's made even worse by the fact that players might be forced to reorder their controls, because they created their setup with only ET controls in mind (understandable, isn't it). Not everyone is a happy owner of a 8 button mouse yet. Additionally, picking up weapons by activating them actually adds something to the game because it requires some skill if you need to do it quickly (it's like aiming at a gun instead of a player). This is especially attractive when it's successfully executed while surrounded by opponents.

This is why I am against the autopickup part of this "feature", wheither it makes me "immature" or not. :P
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

i know +dropweapon was in rtcw but not that i like it any less i jsut fonud it kinda sucka that et didnt have it lol :lol:
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

i agree with Spark2. having to actually "pick up" another weapon is realistic. granted this is ET not AA, but that's no reason to strip out whatever realism already exists.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

it's not nessicarily more realistic... true you wouldn't just throw your weapon down on a mine or something but if someone's a better shot you may give him your weapon when he's out of ammo
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?