shrub feature

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

skillzilla

shrub feature

Post by skillzilla »

TEXT SHORTCUTS - new for 3.1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cvars:
g_shortcuts default: 0 enable/disable text shortcuts
When g_shortcuts is 1, players can use the following text shortcuts in their say,
say_team, and me chats. They will be replaced with the appropriate text:

[a] - the last teammate who gave you ammo
[d] - the last player who killed you
[h] - the last teammate who gave you health
[k] - the last player who you killed
[l] - your location
[p] - the teammate you are pointing at
[r] - the last player who revived you
[n] - your name
[s] - the amount of health you have
[w] - the weapon you are holding

could something like this be added to etpro
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

[a] - Spam
[d] - Spam
[h] - Spam
[k] - Spam
[l] - Isn't this automatically added to messages?
[p] - Could be okay
[r] - Spam
[n] - ???
[s] - Possibly useful
[w] - Why?
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
PincheGab

Post by PincheGab »

WeblionX wrote:Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam,Spam,...
LOL!, do I detect just a faint "not invented here" syndrome to this?
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

No, more of "This is useless and will cause text spam" syndrome. Personally, I consider borrowing/copying/stealing/what-have-you features from other mods is fine, but I truly do not see a use for those.
DG

Post by DG »

there's a thread somewhere in these forums which discusses something very similar, and came up with some which sounded quite useful, or interesting anyway.

Of these, P S & W are the only ones that dont seem worse than pointless IMHO, and P the only one i can see as being particularily useful (alternately it could PM them?).

cba looking for the thread.
Nogen

Post by Nogen »

Ummmmm....How about just talking to you teammates over voice comms?
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

Internet connection speed or CPU usage of the program may prevent them from using voice comms.
skillzilla

Post by skillzilla »

but its good spam
very useful in pubs, and since bayonET will never be coming out etpro needs to think about pub features!1
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

if it will cause even the slightest amount of lag i say no. which reminds me: i tend to disable vsays and chat text when pubbing, because frankly i don't care to hear some jackass spam for a medic only to find him with 75 HP or have him tap out the instant my needle nicks his flesh. what i wondered was, if disabling all that garbage might help with my connection, or is it still being sent to me, i'm just disabling my ability to see/hear it? if that's the case, maybe the etpro team could make it so if the client disables something, the server doesn't even bother sending it to them? that'd be leet. oh, and just a reminder, cg_teamchatsonly doesn't work in 3.1.9 (Rain already promised it'd be fixed, but anyway...)

as it stands, i avoid servers running that etadmin mod like the plague, because they lag like shit. sorry but i'd rather have a steady connection then be told when i'm on a 5 man killing streak. i learned to count in preschool (as if i even cared anyway).

this crap reminds me of that goofy bullshit all the CS servers run - except they even had freakin wav files for everything... "MULTIKILL!!!" etc. i'd be willing to bet a crisp new Ben Franklin that the developer of admin mod is working on getting that into the next release. all this crap belongs in trash mods like shrub. sadly, it's catching on in ETPro pubs :(
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
Mark

Post by Mark »

ouroboro wrote:
as it stands, i avoid servers running that etadmin mod like the plague, because they lag like shit. sorry but i'd rather have a steady connection then be told when i'm on a 5 man killing streak. i learned to count in preschool (as if i even cared anyway).
If it lags, it is surely not the etadmin_mod.
this crap reminds me of that goofy bullshit all the CS servers run - except they even had freakin wav files for everything... "MULTIKILL!!!" etc. i'd be willing to bet a crisp new Ben Franklin that the developer of admin mod is working on getting that into the next release. all this crap belongs in trash mods like shrub. sadly, it's catching on in ETPro pubs :(
No, i'm NOT working on that one. I would include it as a option, if it would be possible to play sounds with rcon :lol: .

Greets
Mark
Get owned at: Gaming@d1p.de (217.172.182.126:27960)
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
pyke

Post by pyke »

amount of health/amount of ammo would be very useful
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

@Mark: sorry to offend. didn't know it was you. at any rate, that's how i feel. i'd not have a problem with it if you included an option for clients to disable it.

for that matter, etpro should have the option for clients to disable server banners. thank god we can disable watermarks...

i understand when you guys make a new widget you want everyone to see it and applaud, but i'd certainly prefer to not be annoyed by it if given the option.

as for the lagging, i've never seen a server running your mod that didn't have horrid lag spikes. i've mentioned it on a few servers and have had several people suggest it was due to your mod sending all those text messages to everyone, and the server having to run the calculations, etc.

i suppose they're wrong and it's a horrible coincidence that all et_admin mod servers suck ass, but it made some sense to me at the time (spikes tended to coincide with the mod spam).
PincheGab

Post by PincheGab »

ouroboro wrote:as it stands, i avoid servers running that etadmin mod like the plague, because they lag like shit. sorry but i'd rather have a steady connection then be told when i'm on a 5 man killing streak. i learned to count in preschool (as if i even cared anyway).
Mark did not have that coming. This an absolutely unfair remark for you to make, specially given that's it's not the even the message topic.
ouroboro wrote:as for the lagging, i've never seen a server running your mod that didn't have horrid lag spikes. i've mentioned it on a few servers and have had several people suggest it was due to your mod sending all those text messages to everyone, and the server having to run the calculations, etc.
Now you're just making a fool of yourself. First of all, how could you be the expert on etadmin_mod when you said yourself you avoid it like the plague? If you weren't just firing blanks, then you would have some actual stats, along with a very good explanation of how sending a single string such as "say >>>>multikill<<<<" via a same-machine rcon can possibly cause lag. Explain it in a way that makes sense in the context of a server with a max client rate of 10000 or 15000. If one of etadmin_mod's SAYs are even 100 bytes long (which they are not), that's still 1% of the data that can be sent in one second. Or are you about to claim that it's a CPU issue? (That one I'd LOVE to hear!)

Anyway, you are making no sense, plus I don't see why anyone should give a crap about your poorly-phrased prejudices, specially when "justified" by imagined reasons and stated in such a belligerent way.

While they may have taught you artihmetic at school they certainly did not teach you manners. No problem, life will take care of that, in due time.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

i have absolutely no clue how to give you an explanation, because i have no idea how the mod works (oh noes, i just completely disarmed you by agreeing with all the flaws you pointed out in me!). i speak purely as a player who has played on several servers running that mod, had bad experiences, and opted to not continue playing on any servers if i connect and see that mod is running.

as for the string size, i remain unsympathetic. i'm all for a mod which removes things from the bandwidth requirements of a game, but not ones which add to it. that said, i'll take you at your word that the strings are too small to cause lag and simply presume it was just bad luck. as for why anyone should care about my opinion - they shouldn't, really. then again, this is a public forum where the public is sorta supposed to reply to threads with their opinions, or such places tend to die. i guess i could just read from now on and never speak my mind for fear that i will ruffle a few feathers, but i rather doubt i'll opt to take that approach, being the loudmouth that i am...

anyway, i have every right to my opinion of *any* mod. simply because someone makes a mod doesn't mean i have to love it. i appreciate the effort he put into it, but so far that particular mod has at least one CON associated with it (lag, which could very well be coincidence), but no PRO thus far (the counting stuff is not needed, especially since ET should be steering AWAY from stat-whoring, not towards MORE of it.)

just my 2 cents and more of me sticking my nose into a thread and kicking up dust. just pass on by and pay me no mind, like Kendle does :P

BTW, this could be resolved by simply allowing the client to disable the messages - which is something any sane person would assume the developer would code into any additional features, right from the get-go. can you give me any reason why that wasn't/can't be done? is it a technical reason, or was it an oversight, or is it a concious decision to mandate the client reads the additional spam? i'm genuinely interested...

</troll>
PincheGab

Post by PincheGab »

ouroboro wrote:i have absolutely no clue how to give you an explanation, because i have no idea how the mod works (oh noes, i just completely disarmed you by agreeing with all the flaws you pointed out in me!).
Lol, you think too highyl of yourself. I just replied in case someone later searching the archives comes upon this and thinks your comments are based on facts.

Anyway, it does not seem too smart to think you outwitted someone by pleading complete ignorance of the subject at hand. If you think your ignorance makes you authoritative, go ahead. My point's been made anyway.

And sorry your message was too long to read. Much longer than many etadmin_mod strings put together, lol.