feature request - private slot access

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

mortis

feature request - private slot access

Post by mortis »

Currently, as far as I know, an admin can only enter the private slots on a server by using the command "/password passwordhere" when the server is reporting "server is full". You then move into a private slot, and remain in the private slot for as long as you are connected.

If you join when the server is not full, then you join an everyman slot. If the server fills you have to disconnect, wait for others to connect until its full, then reconnect and enter the private slot.

I would like to be able to use a command to move into the private slot even when the server is not full, so that I leave space for additional players, and I can spec as admin without consuming a server space. I don't think the command /password passwordhere has any effect once you are in the game.

Even better than that would be the ability to "temp private slot" players, so that /rconauth admins could move players into private slots without sharing the password...ala temp ref.

Thoughts?

--Mortis
Bartichello

Post by Bartichello »

just letting admins connect immediatly into a priv slot would be nice ... not a bad idea.
Nail

Post by Nail »

you can easily enter your private slot with command line, ie:

"C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory2.60\ET.exe" +set fs_game etpro +connect xxx.x.xx.xxx +password <password>

that should put you directly into private slot and leave all public slots open
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
ReyalP

Re: feature request - private slot access

Post by ReyalP »

mortis wrote:Currently, as far as I know, an admin can only enter the private slots on a server by using the command "/password passwordhere" when the server is reporting "server is full". You then move into a private slot, and remain in the private slot for as long as you are connected.
As nail says, if you set the password before you connect, you get a private slot, regardless of whether the server is full or not. If you set the password after you connect, you must reconnect to get into a private slot.

If you use ASE, you can just set the password in server properties, and it will be used any time you join that server.
send lawyers, guns and money
Locked_On

Post by Locked_On »

I have my password set in the cfg and it goes into a private slot every time I join.
-------------------------------------
www.terminal-insanity.com
mortis

Post by mortis »

Ah, well an even better feature then would be a modification to the etpro server browser that allows you to automatically append commands on connect to your server favorites.

For example:

When connecting to Primer's Etpro Linux64 run these functions:

/password <password>
/ref <password>
/rconauth <password>
/bind k kill
/name [WN] I_FILE_COMPLAINTS

but on HKF:

/unbind k

but on Broadbandreports.com:

/password <different password>
/ref <differentpassword>
/rconauth <differentpassword>
/bind k kill

If you have admin on multiple servers, or want to unbind 'prohibited' actions like /kill automatically upon connect to the desired server. I'd rather not have to exit Wolfy completely if I'm pubbing (or competing on various servers I visit often). If there was a tab for "on connect config string" or something like that, it would be awesome.

--Mortis
Last edited by mortis on Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Locked_On wrote:I have my password set in the cfg and it goes into a private slot every time I join.
Note that if you join some other server, you are giving anyone with access to the server logs your private slot password.
send lawyers, guns and money
Locked_On

Post by Locked_On »

For the most part I don't play anywhere but Terminal_Insanity and I change the password often. Good info to have though, thanks.
-------------------------------------
www.terminal-insanity.com
deej

Post by deej »

Locked_On wrote:For the most part I don't play anywhere but Terminal_Insanity and I change the password often. Good info to have though, thanks.
I would indeed not recommend to put passwords in cfgs.

On our server for example Punkbuster is set to walk through all "user defined cvars" at certain intervals. This was decided to help identify cheaters but has as side-effect that we get EVERY cvar you define locally, including the ones containing passwords.

I don't abuse this info (it's only used for gathering proof and I'm past that age point too ;)) but I can imagine someone with too much free time on his hands doing so.
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

Nail wrote:you can easily enter your private slot with command line, ie:

"C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory2.60\ET.exe" +set fs_game etpro +connect xxx.x.xx.xxx +password <password>

that should put you directly into private slot and leave all public slots open
actually this will enter you into a private slot if the server is full... if you ALLWAYS want to enter the server in a private slot, set your password, then connect...

"C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory2.60\ET.exe" +set fs_game etpro +password <password> +connect xxx.x.xx.xxx
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
deej

Post by deej »

you know why not just use HLSW and enter the pass there? It automatically adds it to the command line anyway.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

ASE does the same thing
My Website
mortis

Post by mortis »

ASE wants teh bucks. I am teh poor. It is better to beg for bani's table scraps than to cough up cash on ASE. :lol:
deej

Post by deej »

mortis wrote:ASE wants teh bucks. I am teh poor. It is better to beg for bani's table scraps than to cough up cash on ASE. :lol:
HLSW is for free ;-).
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i've been using ASE for about 3 years without paying...
the only 2 things you get for paying:
1. unlimited budy list
2. invite players
My Website