ETPro 3.2.6 - stuff to improve

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

madscientist

Post by madscientist »

ReyalP wrote:There is nothing like what you describe as "movement antilag" in ET or ETPro, or any other Q3 engine game that I am aware of.
I know, because I first mentioned it here. I've worked on some code and tried to figure out which methods were the best for internet play and that's how I came up with unlagging movements same as unlagging aiming.

I know that "being" shot at is totally unpredictable, but movement antilag is about comparing each clients' positions with whatever the server allowed them "before". That's quite different from trying to predict anything and ensures a smooth movement for everyone on the server. Believe it makes sense and works if you think about the various possibilities even if it might lead to high pingers not-clipping through lower pingers while moving. But this is of no consequence since, the server still sends the lower pingers coordinates to the high pinger, so the latter cannot "move" inside/through another player on "his" screen.

Think of it as temporal frames for each clients. Even if on the server some players might not-clip while moving, on each of these individual clients, the latters won't be able to move through anyone!

The only problem with this method is that "knockbacks" will be delayed by 1/2 the ping of the targets which is why I didn't quite consider this implemented in ET. But for any other game without knockbacks it should be flawless.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

now i'm far from able to say anything about the coding matters.. but i also am a bit concerned about the future of, if not this game, then "myNextFavoriteShooter"-game..

the problem to me is, theres is no comparison to RTCW/ET, lets face it, RTCW just did it!..it has this unigue "feel" to it, its fast paced, interaction with players / classes / overall gameplay.. theres nothing like it..

Then ET came.. alot of aprovements.. but some things also got alot messier.. (and im not talking about straight up bugs).

What is next step? , ive seen suggestions to RTCW:ET , and i beleive its a good idea.. take the things from RTCW that we all know just worked..and then take the good elements from ET , longer objectives, ammo racks / commandpost etc etc.. and mix up a supertuned e-shooter for the masses (free =P) (hell i'll gladly donate some dollars if i knew it was going to happen)

as far as hitbox / hitscan / playermovement..well we all want it as close to perfect as we can get it.. and so far i'm pretty satisfied with the " i hit you " - experience, but the "you hit me" (around corners) - experience is buggin me..and this happens regardless hi/lo-ping lag/nolag. i guess this is one of the flipsides about the current antilag?
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

squadjot wrote:...the good elements from ET... ammo racks...
:lol:
c0m4r

Post by c0m4r »

// >offtopic //

I do not want to set up a new topic, well bani: when the new etpro 3.2.6 will be avaible?
i have information, as for two weeks, this is correct information?

// <offtopic //
Deus

Post by Deus »

// >offtopic //

no

// <offtopic //
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

i use the xploit of no spread... so go fix it!
ogrec

Post by ogrec »

Can someone make cmd so that removes spread increasing while turning left/right (doing 180°/360° turns)? It gives advantage to camping players and behinders so i think many players would like this. Also, did anyone in etpro team consider making cmd that removes screenshakes? A very nice thing would be when it would be client side so that players can set value that suits them the best (like sensitivity - so that they can keep screenshakes but set them to very low, barely noticeable).
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

ogrec wrote:Can someone make cmd so that removes spread increasing while turning left/right (doing 180°/360° turns)? It gives advantage to camping players and behinders so i think many players would like this. Also, did anyone in etpro team consider making cmd that removes screenshakes? A very nice thing would be when it would be client side so that players can set value that suits them the best (like sensitivity - so that they can keep screenshakes but set them to very low, barely noticeable).
LOL? Who in their right mind would keep screenshakes if given the option to remove them?

The turning spread is pretty lame, but mainly because it's affected by fps/mouserate.
ogrec

Post by ogrec »

I would keep them because it's easier to see when your hit, but i would set it to lowest possible/or i would set cg_bloodflash very low, not sure yet, need to try it first.
ouroboro wrote:The turning spread is pretty lame, but mainly because it's affected by fps/mouserate.
My point exactly, not only that you give more even odds for making a kill to players being attacked from behind but you also get rid of that bug which some players abuse making game same for everyone.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

ogrec wrote:My point exactly, not only that you give more even odds for making a kill to players being attacked from behind but you also get rid of that bug which some players abuse making game same for everyone.

..hmm.. first off, it would be natural that one attacking from the back, would have the advantage no matter what..

Removing spread would be a poor attempt to solve the problem imo.
ogrec

Post by ogrec »

squadjot wrote:first off, it would be natural that one attacking from the back, would have the advantage no matter what..
Well I know, but he has extra advantage that comes from spread, if you remove spread it's a + for the player being backraped (i'm not saying he's in better position but that he has greater chances of killing backraper). And, since it's hard to fix that 0 spread bug this way you don't have to fix it. I apologize for bad english and i hope this time you'll understand what i tried to say :wink:
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

ogrec wrote:i hope this time you'll understand what i tried to say
"I want shooting in ET to be even easier than it already is."

Does that about sum it up?
The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer »

not sure how it is in ETPro but i found it a bit weird that
PM_AdjustAimSpreadScale ();
is not in 'fps independant' sector under it as a comment there reads
// chop the move up if it is too long, to prevent framerate
// dependent behavior
so any chance moving it under

Code: Select all

pmove->cmd.serverTime = pmove->ps->commandTime + msec;
to help?
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
SL|Masta

Post by SL|Masta »

What about the bug, when you try to reload and while pressing the reload key you accidentaly press another key simultaneously, where you have another weaponbank bind. Your gun dissapears, you hear the reloading sound, then the next weaponbank appears and when you switch to previous weapon, it isn't reloaded.

demo>> http://sltest.php5.cz/kvak/demo0000.dm_84
The Necromancer

Post by The Necromancer »

TBH easy to fix, just don't allow weapon change when weapon is dropping to reload
Hi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!