LilleBror's oftopic bleh

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

LilleBror

Post by LilleBror »

-W0kk3L-=> well i have a tiny problem with ur server setup :) u dont allow cl_timenudge (its one cvar thats fixed)... suggestion,,clamp more cvars like.. cl_nodelta, pmove_fixed ect instead..and free the nudge..

Bani=> Great Work! Absolutly fantastic have only tried the mod at 100+ ping but.. Its HS heavn.. still very few 3.2.6 servers out there.. but i allmost cant wait 2 play 3.2.6 at low ping... :)

Question:Btw..is there any cvar other than the cl_timenudge setting, that can move the antilag timming, so the sent packet is "processed at snap 0" allways? ie. "the first sent server frame", hope u understand what i mean.
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

LilleBror wrote:u dont allow cl_timenudge (its one cvar thats fixed)
"Fixed?" I wasn't aware it had changed, aside from the delay introduced several versions ago. The mechanism is the same as etmain, AFAIK.
LilleBror wrote:is there any cvar other than the cl_timenudge setting, that can move the antilag timming, so the sent packet is "processed at snap 0" allways? ie. "the first sent server frame"
What in the name of Blazkowicz are you talking about? "Processed at snap 0?" :?: :shock: :?:
LilleBror wrote:Its HS heavn
Like the last several releases, I don't believe anything has changed in regards to headshots. Yet with every release, people either say the hitboxes have been "broken" or "fixed." Perhaps b_placebo now defaults to 1? :roll:
LilleBror wrote:hope u understand what i mean.
I don't think we ever will...

What I got from your post was "I like timenudge, so it should be allowed." That's fine, but just say that instead of posting more blather.
mortis

Post by mortis »

Actually, i thought his post was a bit more conciliatory than usual.

cl_timenudge is unchanged afaik. Values beyond -50 and 50 have no effect anyway, regardless of what the client sets them to. Timenudge just affects calculations, not packet flow, IIRC.

The only other packet packet 'timing' settings are serverside, via sv_snaps. The other settings such as antilag only alter which snaps are considered for hit determinations and the like (aka not the packet flow itself, AFAIK). (/me needs to consult with the Oracle of Reyalp)
reyalp wrote: Timenudge operates on the client system (as the cl_ prefix indicates). It affects the client time, which in turn affects how snapshots (information from the server) are treated, and the timestamps of commands sent to the server.

- Using negative timenudge moves your client time forward, causing you to use more recent snapshots, even if this requires extrapolation. This gives you a warpier, but more up to date view of the server.
- Positive timenudge moves your client time backwards, causing you to use older snapshots, even if more recent ones are available. This essentially simulates a higher ping, although on a fluxy connection, it could make things smoother as well.
- Timenudge moves the command time of your commands sent to the server in the same way.
- Regardless of PB or etpro restrictions, the game itself will never let timenudge actually go less than -50. It also caps the positive value. Although you can set the cvar to -500, it will only move your client time by 50 ms.

In etmain, timenudge is purely client side (in the sense that the server doesn't do anything with your cl_timenudge value. Since it affects your command times, it does have some effect on information on the server.) The only reason the value is sent to the server is so the server can display it in /players.

It appears that when the pings involved are extremely low (< 10 ms) using -50 timenudge can have a small impact on how you show up on other peoples screens. This is due to another bug, but from my testing it happens rarely, even on a 100mbit LAN. The timenudger must have high FPS, high maxpackets, and a sub 10 ms ping. Even then, the resulting delta is quite small. If the timenudger is playing on the internet, this will never be factor. (note: this is due to the g_smoothsclients thing, but in practice, should be a non-issue)
The above dissertation is from the mod making forum at Splash Damage. A value for timenudge of 50 or -50 is one full snap (if sv_snaps is set to 20).
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Just FWIW, exactly two things have changed with respect to hit detection going from 3.2.5 to 3.2.6... Jack and Sh*t.
send lawyers, guns and money
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

:?: I thought timenudge simply allows clients to add to or subtract from the normal 50ms interpolation delay. And isn't it limited to +/-30?
LilleBror

Post by LilleBror »

ReyalP =>Then maybe ? Prevent antiwarp circumvention via pmove_fixed just was it?... if its jack an .... on the antilag side? or even the command flood limits introduced?...Something has gone right. :) som of the fixes have worked..i cant prove it but i can feel it.

Ill rephrase question: Any other cvar than cl_timenudge that can force "the client" to use more recent snapshots?

mortis=> I was referring that it was clamped with a timedelay in a earlyer etpro version.
mortis

Post by mortis »

ouroboro wrote::?: I thought timenudge simply allows clients to add to or subtract from the normal 50ms interpolation delay. And isn't it limited to +/-30?
you may be right, I couldn't remember if it was +- 30 or +-50. Reyalp's quote reinforced my belief that the max/min is +-50ms.
Last edited by mortis on Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deus

Post by Deus »

i offer -30/+50 \o/