G15 Keyboard

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Destroyer

G15 Keyboard

Post by Destroyer »

Does anyone have, or know if the logitech G15 keyboard works ok with ET? Thinking of splashing out on one for the extra bindable keys.

Thanks.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?n ... ic&t=14936
ET will only recognize the normal set of keys.

You can still assign macros or ordinary keys to the 'extra' keys of course.

The LCD looks like a gimmick to me, and obviously won't do anything ET specific.
send lawyers, guns and money
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

If it doesn't have a high rollover count, and I suspect it does not, it's just another shiny piece of bling that's not particularly well-suited to gaming.
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
Destroyer

Post by Destroyer »

Oh well maybe i should just get a cheapie!! :shock:
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

Destroyer wrote:Oh well maybe i should just get a cheapie!! :shock:
http://forums-center.com/index.php?show ... ntry192078
LilleBror

Post by LilleBror »

get a Logitech® Ultra-Flat Keyboard...
fast keystoke.. u get shorter distance 2 hammer a key down...
And crank up the poll rate...USB...
Best overall value 4 money....IMHO..

good 4 gamming and work..the low profile is "relaxing" and easy on the wrists... thats my dollar anyway...
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

Most if not all Logitech keyboards suck. While you'll almost never use more than 5 keys when gaming (obviously), and usually no more than 3, there are several 3-key combos that many (most?) modern keyboards can't do. To my knowledge, this includes all Logitech keyboards.

As for polling rate, I seriously doubt that's a factor for keyboard response; I certainly can't detect any difference. Also note that PS/2 is still superior to USB for high-rollover keyboards because some input may get lost with USB.

Modern "slimline" keyboards are just a gimmick, IMO. Ergonomics recommends tilting the keyboard away from the user while typing, which can be done with any keyboard, thick or thin.

It's a shame when people are separated from their money by the flashing lights and sleek styling of inferior products.
McSteve

Post by McSteve »

The G15 is a nice keyboard. I bought it almost entirely because it has a hard-wired switch for disabling the windows button.

;)
Herf

Post by Herf »

ouroboro wrote:If it doesn't have a high rollover count, and I suspect it does not, it's just another shiny piece of bling that's not particularly well-suited to gaming.

What is a high rollover count, and what keyboard have high rollover counts?
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

Herf wrote:
ouroboro wrote:If it doesn't have a high rollover count, and I suspect it does not, it's just another shiny piece of bling that's not particularly well-suited to gaming.
What is a high rollover count, and what keyboard have high rollover counts?
Rollover count is how many keys you can press at the same time. n-key rollover means you can press and hold all keys and they will register. 5-key rollover would mean you can press and hold 5 keys, but if you press a 6th key it will fail to register.

According to this source, the Logitech G15 does indeed have n-key rollover. Why Logitech does not loudly advertise its best feature is beyond me.

Be sure to ask around rather than trusting any one source. When in doubt, you can't go wrong with the granddaddy of keyboards.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

ouroboro wrote: Rollover count is how many keys you can press at the same time. n-key rollover means you can press and hold all keys and they will register. 5-key rollover would mean you can press and hold 5 keys, but if you press a 6th key it will fail to register.
Again, on most keyboards, the number of keys you can press depends on which keys you are pressing. Many can only handle 3 in some combinations, but have not trouble with 5 in others.

Just FWIW, actual users reported that the G15 does *not* have n-key rollover. See the very first post in the thread I linked previously.
send lawyers, guns and money
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

ReyalP wrote:
ouroboro wrote: Rollover count is how many keys you can press at the same time. n-key rollover means you can press and hold all keys and they will register. 5-key rollover would mean you can press and hold 5 keys, but if you press a 6th key it will fail to register.
Again, on most keyboards, the number of keys you can press depends on which keys you are pressing. Many can only handle 3 in some combinations, but have not trouble with 5 in others.
I know. I've tried to explain this to numerous people. A good KB should live up to it's rollover claim on any key combo. One never knows what keys a user will prefer for gaming.
ReyalP wrote:Just FWIW, actual users reported that the G15 does *not* have n-key rollover. See the very first post in the thread I linked previously.
Interesting, I'd forgotten about that thread. Like I said:
ouroboro wrote:Be sure to ask around rather than trusting any one source. When in doubt, you can't go wrong with the granddaddy of keyboards.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

clicky keyboards ftw!

i have 2 model M's. :bunnyd:
WeblionX

Post by WeblionX »

With DIY adapters to use on your Apple ][ machines that you use for ETPro development?
Got any old idtech3 tutorials you made or saved? Send them my way.
Nail

Post by Nail »

where have you been, he has a mini-mac !
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome