Damage based XP

Good idea
79%
Bad idea
21%

Total votes: 198

Kamel

Post by Kamel »

bani wrote:i notice people are voting no, but arent explaining why. too scared to speak out in defense of your opinion?
they're all rambo medics ;/
"Common sense isn't very common."
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

bani wrote:actually if we just count gib damage as well, the pf can still get some XP even if they /kill before it hits them.

it would also count for mines, since if they /kill while standing on a mine, their corpse would be gibbed. the only way to avoid that would be to eat a grenade...
Note in either case, this isn't normal 'gib' damage, since a /killed player goes instantly to limbo...

Outside those situations, I don't think you should get XP for splatting the corpse of someone who has already tapped out or been shot into limbo :P
send lawyers, guns and money
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:I don't think you should get XP for splatting the corpse of someone who has already tapped out or been shot into limbo :P
i agree... just seeing their body parts fly for me is enough motivation to do it :D, lmao
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

the problem with this being in competition is because its NOT NEEDED for competition. it's not needed due to the fact that people /kill to catch respawn. if someone /kill's during a match purely to avoid a death, that person is doing you a favor because where did you want to put him to begin with? LIMBO MENU. the /kill'er is dead, and unrevivable, which is what would've happened to them in the first place. LEAVE IT ALONE. If you're going to impliment this sort of thing, leave it for the nooby pubs where the whining about /kill'ers actually happens.

Bani: if I might add a suggestion. Run this poll on the TWL forums, and take the result of that forum FIRST. the people who are posting here for the most part are "pro pub players" making desicions for the competitive community that they're not apart of.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DONT FIX IT.
Last edited by NewdeaL on Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

if you didn't notice, this thread has nothing to do with /kill

please read the posts carefully, especially the very first post with the huge blinking underlined bold text, before responding.
Last edited by bani on Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

NewdeaL wrote:the problem with this being in competition is because its NOT NEEDED for competition. it's not needed due to the fact that people /kill to catch respawn. if someone /kill's during a match purely to avoid a death, that person is doing you a favor because where did you want to put him to begin with? LIMBO MENU. the /kill'er is dead, and unrevivable, which is what would've happened to them in the first place. LEAVE IT ALONE. If you're going to impliment this sort of thing, leave it for the nooby pubs where the whining about /kill'ers actually happens.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DONT FIX IT.

so, in other words, you would rather not get more light weapons you deserve? -- clearly this is done as an exploit, if you wanted to go into limbo to change class, you wouldn't do it in the middle of a firefight with 2hp left.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

it appears newdeal posted to this thread from following an et-center forum link blindly, without actually reading the contents of this thread first.
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

so, in other words, you would rather not get more light weapons you deserve? -- clearly this is done as an exploit, if you wanted to go into limbo to change class, you wouldn't do it in the middle of a firefight with 2hp left.
what i'm saying is, that doesnt happen in competition. my XP is wiped after the round is over anyway, and there will be plenty more people to shoot at and kill for XP points.

STOPWATCH MODE is not about XP points, at all, whatsoever. All this would do would complicate how the game is played, and stripping some of the fun out of it.

CAMPAIGN MODE is about XP. now since i dont bother with campaign, but this is the only competitive form that this /kill'ing nerf would benefit.
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

bani: these are your fourms, i understand that, but if your forum whoring were calmed down about 2 notches, you'd see that i did explain why this would be BAD for competiton

"I would like to hear why this proposal is bad for competition. Please be specific why it will hurt competition, or make competition unfair. "because its different" isnt an answer either "
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

NewdeaL wrote:STOPWATCH MODE is not about XP points, at all, whatsoever. All this would do would complicate how the game is played, and stripping some of the fun out of it.
how so? be specific.

why would it complicate how the game is played?

how would it strip some of the fun out of it?

if it's not about XP points, you beg the question of removing XP from stopwatch 100% entirely then.

you explained why /kill nerfing would be bad for competition. that's fine, but this thread has zero to do with /kill nerfing.
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

NewdeaL wrote:bani: these are your fourms, i understand that, but if your forum whoring were calmed down about 2 notches, you'd see that i did explain why this would be BAD for competiton

"I would like to hear why this proposal is bad for competition. Please be specific why it will hurt competition, or make competition unfair. "because its different" isnt an answer either "
No you didn't. You bollocks'd on about /kill.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH /KILL
STOPWATCH MODE is not about XP points, at all, whatsoever. All this would do would complicate how the game is played, and stripping some of the fun out of it.
Lol, sure - whatever. If XP has nothing to do with Stopwatch mode, then why do you GET XP IN STOPWATCH MODE? Dude, higher light weapons still gives faster reload. Level 1 still gives an extra clip of ammo.

XP DOES matter in stopwatch. Sure you don't store it up and whore it, because the ultimate aim is fast times, but it DOES matter.
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

unless the team you're playing is complete and utter crap, you'll very seldomly see a level 2 panzer, or level 2+ light weapons.

if you stripped XP out of SW altogether, it wouldnt change how it's played.
if you start fluffing how people gain XP, it DOES change the way its played. Players will then have the cushion of level 3 light weapons with higher accuracy, faster reload, etc. The game is finally becoming balanced, with spawn time changes on Railgun and Oasis, along with the new etpro 2.1 features of spawnable CP on FuelDump, and dynamiteable back door on Battery.

Why don't we see how these changes effect the game before we go changing the XP system.

KingJackaL: XP means next to nothing in SW Mode unless the team you're playing is garbage. Thats the only time you'll see players with akimbo pistols from 1 round, or a panzer with an smg. Its pretty obvious you're not competing/not competing on the same level as most of us with statements like that.
CrosshairBill

Post by CrosshairBill »

KingJackaL wrote:This is excellent.

One thing you always note in clan competition is the 'frag stealers' - the guys that luck out, and do < 80 DMG/kill, while others seem to be putting down 200+ DMG/kill.

There is nothing wrong with that, and I don't mind at all in ( for example ) RTCW, but in ET this means that the frag-stealer gets faster reload etc, while the guy with the high DMG/low kills sits at default. Damage based XP sounds like a good move in that regard.
Can you say selfish play? Its teamwork, not stealing frags. What does it matter to you if your clanmate gets faster reload before you do, it still benefits the team the same.
Last edited by CrosshairBill on Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

NewdeaL wrote:KingJackaL: XP means next to nothing in SW Mode unless the team you're playing is garbage. Thats the only time you'll see players with akimbo pistols from 1 round, or a panzer with an smg. Its pretty obvious you're not competing/not competing on the same level as most of us with statements like that.
Believe it or not, I run a league, and have played years of clan RTCW/ET.

And no, you never see akimbo's/SMG+panz, but aren't you stretching things waaay out? I wasn't talking about level 4, I was talking about all levels. Who cares about level 2+ soldier - all that matters is level 1. And who cares about level 4 LW - the biggest effect comes with level 1 again.

Lets face it, defense gets XP faster ATM, meaning they get lvl1 LW first ( on average ), meaning they don't rely on f-ops/ammo cabinets so fast, so they can whore more medics ( now with 2 clips/spawn ) at the start, making them even harder for offense to kill, etc etc.

As was mentioned earlier, having damage-based XP rather than kills-based XP would even the XP gains on LW's XP between offense and defense.

Consider the change as the following:

Old system

If you take an enemies health from X to 0, you get XP. The people with the most XP will be those who happened to get the most 'last shots' on people before they died.

New system

If you inflict X damage on an enemy, you get XP. The people with the most XP will be those dishing out the most damage onto the enemy team.

..does that clear it up?
CrosshairBill wrote:Can you say selfish play? Its teamwork, not stealing frags. What does it matter to you if your clanmate gets faster reload before you do, it still benefits the team the same.
Good point, agreed.
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

Giving XP for 'Damage Given' rather than 'Kills' is just silly. Statwhores don't go and say "WOW, I GAVE 10,000 DAMAGE!" they say "WOW, I HAD 47 KILLS AND 13 DEATHS"

ON TOP OF THAT: giving damage, last time i checked, is not as important as getting a kill. If someone /kill's and robs you of your XP, HOW MUCH XP ARE YOU ACTUALLY LOSING? I could understand if you had a terrible shot, and gave the other "terrible shot" the time to /kill, its your own fault. Sorry pal, awarding XP for 'Near Kills' is codling noobies. If someone is gonna kill me, I want to make sure they earned it, not because they'd been inflicting damage the whole round, gathering XP so they could actually make a difference later on in the round.

If the couldn't do it the ol' fashioned way (and actually kill people) in the begining of the round, it should stand that they SHOULDN'T be awarded for it.

Put it this way: Would you reward your dog for ALMOST making it outside before shitting on the floor?