ETPro 3.0 - too early for release?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

defragga

Post by defragga »

[FF]Adam wrote:i think it's good

i have it setup on our server, and it is running great, the lightest load, and best pings we've ever had running ET.....granted, we run on linux, i dont know it it's any different with linux vs windows

you guys need to stop bitching about it, this is FREE.........

i have all the bug issues "worked-around", like the drop and the lag, along with numerous other things.........everything else is trivial and can be "put up" with until the update comes along

check it out if you dont believe me, 130.13.82.5

keep up the fab work bani & co..... :) u got my support
100% agree !
I also "worked-around" the probs, and now I'm really happy with et pro 3.0.0, and yes I believe in bani ;D
Bane

Post by Bane »

*shakes head* First everyone's complaining about ETPro being released too damn late (3 full days later :shock: ) and now it would be too soon. Ya don't know what you want do ya?

Anyway, bugs are hard to prevent, though fairly easy to fix. I don't see much harm in them :)
BOTA

Post by BOTA »

Not being forced to upgrade is simply not true for Clanbase.
Which requires you in the ladder rules of ET SW to always have the latest version of ETPro running.
Latest version publicly available is ETPro 3.0.0
Which I am forced to install due to Clanbase matches we play.
Granted this is more a Clanbase being idiots problem then ETPro.
However anyone who plays by the rules for Clanbase knows this is going to be a problem.
I would expect that Clanbase would sort out their point of view but they do not!
Problem is a lot of Clanbase players and servers have now upgraded to a what appears to be a botched release at first glance.
I would have expected the ETPro people to be a little more considerate before releasing this version.
Again this is not a full blame to ETPro mod developers.
It is serious irritation at Clanbase which I have already told them.
And a notice to the ETPro mod developers to realise that what their little invention has for impact on the gamers world.
If they get something a little wrong it can have a massive impact on the gamers.

I like banimod and ETPro I am very impressed that so much work has gone into a free solution for a good game.
But seriously disappointed by this release.
I still support it and want it to get better.
But I realy believe this update may have been to quick to hit the world.

http://www.clanbase.com/ladderrules.php?lid=1095
r0nin

Post by r0nin »

BOTA wrote: Problem is a lot of Clanbase players and servers have now upgraded to a what appears to be a botched release at first glance.
Key word there is first glance. It works fine.
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

We play in Clanbase and haven't upgraded our server, and we played a Clanbase game last night against a Clan who haven't upgraded theirs either. I've never known Clanbase to insist every Clan upgrades their servers the instant a new version is released.

When I was playing RTCW I remember the fun we had with an early 0.8 release of OSP. It was so buggy as to be unplayable. Clanbase didn't penalise Clans who didn't install it.

And yes, I've played on several different 3.0 servers now (gotta love those hitsounds!) and haven't had any problems at all.
Bane

Post by Bane »

BOTA wrote:But seriously disappointed by this release.
You mean you 'just' don't like it, or you expected a completely bug free interface? I think I agree with clanbase either way, if you mean bugs, then I think it's pretty playeble, except for demo playback and crappy ready icons (there are some more, most serious would prolly be shoutcaster for players) Anyway, it's more then stable enough to play (my first clanwars on 3.0.0 where without any complaints) As to compair it to splash damage releases, the initial ET was far more unstable. The patch gave more problems then it fixed. They didn't even fixed that last one. But after 3 days everyone was running the new patch. That is how it goes.

If you personally don't like it (the features, package, whutever) then I doubt clanbase would care all that much... I want da gras removed, they don't listen *g*
Vio

Post by Vio »

BOTA wrote:Not being forced to upgrade is simply not true for Clanbase.
Which requires you in the ladder rules of ET SW to always have the latest version of ETPro running.
Latest version publicly available is ETPro 3.0.0
Which I am forced to install due to Clanbase matches we play.
Granted this is more a Clanbase being idiots problem then ETPro.
However anyone who plays by the rules for Clanbase knows this is going to be a problem.
I would expect that Clanbase would sort out their point of view but they do not!
clanbase.et @ QuakeNet
* Topic is '.: #ClanBase.ET :: etpro 3.0.0 is NOT to be used yet :: #EuroCup.et :.'
BOTA

Post by BOTA »

Well then the only thing we can then all agree with is that Clanbase SUCKS!.
If they have different rueles and stuff on their IRC channel then on their official website then they suck!
Clanbase ET SW ladder is bullshit, and no-one has to play by the rules because everyone seems to be free to interpret the rules themselves.
Okay.

I am sorry I used these forums to bring to light what I believed to be a serious problem with Clanbase. No I know it does matter if you follow the rules in there anyway, kind of drops the need to set up such a ladder anyways.

I will refrain from starting new threads about Clanbase related issues.
I am still a little dissapointed with the release of ETPro 3.0.0 it appears the gamma slider no longer works either.
But I will wait patiently for the next release, I like ET better with ETPro so it can't be all bad :twisted:

Thank you to everyone who contributed to ETPro. :)
Vinyl

Post by Vinyl »

I think Bani and his team did a very good job with this release. Regarding the bugs still present in etpro 3, show me some bugfree software on the market. Every availabe software has bugs, some are minor some are major. Just be patient and wait for the next release of etpro. Untill then use the 2.0.7, it worked fine didn`t it?
ard

So release the source!

Post by ard »

As Threshold said, we should be providing solutions to the bugs we find, instead of grizzling about them.

If Bani releases the source code to ET Pro we could all help out. True, Bani and his team would have to spend more time handling submissions than they do now, but I think we'd all end up with a better product.

So how about it?
Ard.
fretn

Re: So release the source!

Post by fretn »

ard wrote:If Bani releases the source code to ET Pro we could all help out.
... and make your own serverside cheats, compile the dll's and put them in etpro dir on your server, and nobody will ever know it ...
Day by day : http://w.twwwo.be/
NewdeaL

Post by NewdeaL »

clanbase/twl/cal all say to use the "latest" version of etpro, and yes, currently 3.0.0 is the current release, but if the leagues KNOW there are some bug issues that may hinder competition play, they will wait (like the rest of us) until the "latest" release of etpro is ready for competition play.

if i were you, i'd roll back to etpro 2.0.7 on your server, and wait for the fixed up version

)) NewdeaL
ard

Post by ard »

fretn wrote:
ard wrote:If Bani releases the source code to ET Pro we could all help out.
... and make your own serverside cheats, compile the dll's and put them in etpro dir on your server, and nobody will ever know it ...
Don't be ridiculous. We have the source for vanilla ET, and players connecting to vanilla ET servers trust them. Don't you think that a clan player with ETPro installed would raise questions about a 2MB download before a match? And don't you think the leaders would checksum the downloads after they arrived from the server?

An admin who wanted to gain advantage would drop random packets from their enemy and remove detection of the client-side cheats they were using. They wouldn't tweak anything in the game that would be revealed in a demo.

Players trust their game admins. We're trusting Bani. Nobody will suffer if Bani and his developers (are you one, fretn, btw?) were to release the source, and ETPro will certainly benefit from public contribution. There are serious coders in this forum.

We could be helping Bani instead of bitching at him.
Ard.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

ard wrote:
fretn wrote:
Don't be ridiculous. We have the source for vanilla ET, and players connecting to vanilla ET servers trust them. Don't you think that a clan player with ETPro installed would raise questions about a 2MB download before a match? And don't you think the leaders would checksum the downloads after they arrived from the server?
You are not required to download the qagame. That is why server only mods can exist. The client in has no way to verify that the server side files are unmodified, and does not attempt to. Pure checking goes in the other direction.

That said, I agree it is a rather silly argument. Private cheats (serverside or otherwise) are always going to be possible. Anything you can do with source, you can do with disassembly and more work. Source just makes it easier (*much* easier in many cases). OTOH, anit-cheat stuff is fundamentally a 'security-through-obscurity' exercise, so I can understand not wanting to release the source to that.
send lawyers, guns and money
Dogwood

Post by Dogwood »

NewdeaL wrote:clanbase/twl/cal all say to use the "latest" version of etpro, and yes, currently 3.0.0 is the current release, but if the leagues KNOW there are some bug issues that may hinder competition play, they will wait (like the rest of us) until the "latest" release of etpro is ready for competition play.
No, CAL and TWL are recommending that everyone NOT upgrade, and both state in their rules ET Pro v2.0.7 is required.
TWL is considering using ET Pro 3.0.x in the next SW League that starts on 4/19, but have made that decision yet.