etpro cheat database CHEATERWIN 32

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

DM|GrapeApe wrote:Ah -- so ban against the ETPro guid instead of the PB guid.

Why/how is this any better? Can't people just make a new GUID anyways (regardless of pb,etpro,etc)?
The idea is that etpro guids are hardware based (PB has hardware based GUIDs too, but they aren't accessable to anyone but pb. There are allegedly used to perma ban people who try to hack pb itself.) However, last word was that there are still some issues with etpro GUIDs.

Note that banning based on etpro anticheat doesn't require banning by etpro GUID. You can detect someone with etpro, and ban them by IP or pb GUID.
send lawyers, guns and money
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

i'd think in general that IP bans would be about as usefull as tits on a bull, although it would knock people like me out for several months at a time, since i tend to keep the same IP for several months, and am not allowed/able to change it manually.

i'd say HW bans are pretty much kickass. when people have to buy new components to continue their behavior, it will at least relegate cheating to a hobby for the rich (yet another example of how you can get away with anything if you have enough money :roll:)

oh and FWIW, i recently sent a little sompin-sompin to evenbalance and in their reply they warned me not to test anything even for innocent curiosity, becuase they are currently collecting player info but not immediately taking any action, in plans for a supposed "mass ass kicking" sometime in the future. the guy was a bit vague but that's the jist of what he said.

sounded sorta VAC-ish - letting the slugs leave their sticky trail all over the place unhindered, then periodically spraying them with hairspray and lighting it on fire.
Please direct all gameplay-changing feature requests here.
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Getting a new ET GUID is always trivial. Getting a new IP ranges from trivial to pain in the ass.

You can also ban whole ranges of IPs, which is effective since ISPs are allocated specific blocks, and often sub-allocate those in a logical manner. Of course, there is significant risk of collateral damage as the range gets large. :wink:

Hardware bans are a good idea, but creating a system that works on all PC hardware is not easy, and hardware values are spoofable too.
send lawyers, guns and money
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

banning on all 3 (pb guid, etpro guid, and ip/subnet) would be a great thing imho... and i still like my file sharing idea better then a list of cheaters, i'm to lazy to copy/paste, but having a file... maybe that someone regulates (people submit cheater info and it gets added weekly/monthly) would rock, the regulation would prevent n00b admins from globally banning someone for using xfire :lol:
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

SCDS_reyalP wrote:Getting a new ET GUID is always trivial.
true, and that's what sucks about a free game. i mean, sure if i wanted to cheat in a paid game i could just buy 2 copies and use one for comps and the other for cheating, registering my clean guid at TWL or whatever, but in ET i can have umpteen million "keys" and just swap them out at will. that's why HW bans are really the best option.

AKAIK, americas army has good results with PB HW banning. that's also a free game, but i think that cheating in AA occurs in spurts, but is comparably low, and that people are constantly trying to spoof their hard drive serial numbers and shit to get back in the game. also, AA kills your player account, and that means earning your Honor all over again, which is a mild deterrent.

basically, getting busted in AA means a much bigger hassle than it does in ET, which basically has zero penalties - unless what the EB guy told me was correct, and they are just biding their time for a huge sweeping mega-ban :twisted:

one thing i've asked PB about a few times but never gotten a straight answer to is this:

if you are HW banned in one PB enabled game, is it in effect for ALL PB enabled games, and if not, why not (it should be)? i'd be in favor of knocking off huge swathes of cheaters' computers from being able to access PB servers. period.
Nail

Post by Nail »

FWIW, Evenbalance is already using global bans, and yes, it's for ALL pb enabled games
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

the current policy to global bans only occurs if you try to hack pb (there was a cheat that disabled pb and allowed old cheats to be used... hence pb went to run on admin accounts only)
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

siliconslick from nd80 made a kickass script that runs on their helmsdeep server - your guid has to be the same age, in days, as the number of players currently on the server. i'd have no problem with every server running this script.

admins could simply spam a banner for a few days telling players to backup their etkey, then wait a month and enable the script. assuming you only play servers that don't suck (about 14 slots), your key would have to be about 2 weeks old. people wouldn't want to be unable to play for 2 weeks or more every time their GUID got banned - and a global sharing system between admins would make this quite a deterrent.

wouldn't that give GUID banning the teeth it doesn't currently have? or am i just more tired than i feel?
Juggernaut

Post by Juggernaut »

ouroboro wrote:siliconslick from nd80 made a kickass script that runs on their helmsdeep server - your guid has to be the same age, in days, as the number of players currently on the server. i'd have no problem with every server running this script.
This feature is in also in H.Potters etadminmod. You can set the minimum age of guid to what you want and loads of other features aswell.

http://forum.et.d1p.de/index.php?s=a7bb ... howforum=9
Deus

Post by Deus »

Juggernaut wrote: h**p://forum.et.d1p.de/index.php?s=a7bb8ec5337e17648a8aa33f691b32f7&showforum=9
do not post session id's ;)
http://forum.et.d1p.de/index.php?showforum=9