is ET pro willing to go this far?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

RoadKillPuppy

Post by RoadKillPuppy »

Svartberg wrote:
  • This will help clans that can't afford a voicechat server. (in my clan for example, people already spend on the gameserver, and voicechat servers are simply too expensive for the little bandwidth/cpu time they offer)
Rented gameserver will use more bandwith -> overall server price will increase.
Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

RoadKillPuppy wrote:Rented gameserver will use more bandwith -> overall server price will increase.
Notice i said "Also, if the bandwidth hit is big, server providers will likely be charging slightly more for etpro servers."
However, notice how in cs servers cost usually the same et although they got voicechats integrated, so it will still be cheaper than buying both a gameserver and a voicechat server (i can blame the overpricing of voiceservers tbh)
DG

Post by DG »

cs servers use bugger all resources - tiny cpu and bandwidth (without anticheat that is, i beleive VAC used rather a lot of CPU), and so many people want them its worth the tiny margin that results from the competition.

I'd never heard of comms being expensive, i'm sure i recall lots of uk places bunging them in for nowt with their server rentals, as long as you want one they dont need a licence for. Usually been in clans that has someone with either a dedicated box or a nice pipe though.

10v10 is a awful lot of wankers screaming into mics tbh, people would only enable it for fireteam at most on pubs, and i'm more than a little surprised if comms is a problem for clans (I could have dished up rather a lot of free channels on my dedicated machine if i'd known).
Svartberg

Post by Svartberg »

Well i recently bought a vent server for my clan, was pretty well priced (30cents per slot, very cheap), but the uk servers i checked before that were quite overpriced.
the bandwidth on vents is pretty minimal, around 1/8 than the gameserver bandwidth per slot, yet most server providers overcharge them imo.