/kill nerfing

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

hiro

Post by hiro »

the problem with this system is that it doesn't actually punish the /killer, and in the case of players who /kill to avoid a panzer shot, the attacker does not benifit at all.

I think the best deterrent would be to penalize players 5xp BS for every /kill. That won't stop players doing it when they really need to and imo is a fair price to pay for being able to instantly get oneself out of a poor position and back with the reinforcements.

I agree with what others have said about most players who /kill do so for stats rather than to deny xp.
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

I really hope this isnt used in coompetition mode b/c of what gamma and some others have said. I mean in pub sure play it. But in comp mode leave it alone in that i mean sure put a death on every /kill.But if u r in a fight and u have to catch spawn then u should be able to. No 1 should be awarded xp it should just count as a death, in league SW xp isnt everything it can help w/panz/arty but other than that who cares bout xp in a match.Maybe put it in for campaign ladder but i really dont think all of that is neccessary for league the only thing that should go in is a death per /kill and i really could care less if that was in

besides ur fightning to KILL the person if /KILLS then u still completed ur job and have helped your TEAM out cause SW is bout TEAMWORK
Last edited by Samurai on Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eclipse+

Post by eclipse+ »

rawr!

this is rather gay; I agree with Gamma 100 percent on this. /killing when a panzer is flying at you where there is 2 seconds before spawn is mainly why I do it, such as in a firefight with 1-3 seconds before spawn.

Let's do this.

Goldrush as axis, allies stolen tank. Im up by command post as an FO with 30HP dimishing down while in a firefight. I take a quick glance and notice there is 3 seconds untill i re-spawn.

I have two choices, let this guy kill me, making me miss spawn and wait for a full 30 seconds. Or I /kill and i show back at the CP in a matter of a few seconds. What would you do?

I like the idea that a /kill counts as a death. If this is being changed because people get upset with their kill/death ratio, fine, give them a death if the /kill. I could care less about that. I should not be penalized for /killing when I spawn in a second.

/kill should NOT improve panzers. You would then have panzers running around with 400XP alone in heavy weapons. Joy.

blaz wrote:That's all. No awarding half a point for almost killing someone.
ROFL

blaz has the right idea. I dont care about my XP in a match. If i had 5XP and the rest of my teammates have 100 and we still win, i don't care; as long as I get a W.
::Amish World Order::#awo @gamesurge.net::http://www.amishworldorder.org
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

changes:
it wont count 3 seconds before spawn.
it will count as a death.

now all objections are 100% addressed, so absolutely 0% reason it can't be in matches.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Samurai wrote:in league SW xp isnt everything it can help w/panz/arty but other than that who cares bout xp in a match
if you dont care about XP then you shouldnt care if they get XP on a /kill or not.

so basically what you're saying is you have no objection to this feature because you don't care about XP and XP doesn't make any difference 8)

thanks for supporting this feature 8)
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

hiro wrote:and in the case of players who /kill to avoid a panzer shot, the attacker does not benifit at all.
in this case it doesnt hurt anything either.
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

Samurai wrote:I really hope this isnt used in coompetition mode
does this sound like supporting...
and iam basically saying if it isnt broke dont fix it.
Maybe a poll should go out in the twl/cal league forums to only those who actually play in leagues. To see if they want it in comp mode.
eclipse+

Post by eclipse+ »

One problem I have, bani, is that the person who was trying to kill me shouldn't be awarded with XP.
::Amish World Order::#awo @gamesurge.net::http://www.amishworldorder.org
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

affirm. and if i call arty out side of a spawn hit 7 guys but they all /kill i would get about 21 xp still right? if it something like that iam already a level1 fo wo/ giving ammo and killing ne 1 and that is pretty lame.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Samurai wrote:affirm. and if i call arty out side of a spawn hit 7 guys but they all /kill i would get about 21 xp still right? if it something like that iam already a level1 fo wo/ giving ammo and killing ne 1 and that is pretty lame.
depends on how much damage they took. more likely it would be much less than that.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

eclipse+ wrote:One problem I have, bani, is that the person who was trying to kill me shouldn't be awarded with XP.
so you're a medic with 140hp, an enemy gets you down to 2 hp with his smg, you have 20 seconds left on the spawn and you /kill, they should get 0 light weapons XP?

just curious if you think this is more fair:
player 1 gets you from 140hp down to 2 hp, emptying his SMG in the process. you run away.
player 2 then comes around a corner and pops you with a single lucky pistol shot, and gets awarded the full kill and all the XP.

why is this better? "just because thats the way etmain works" isnt a good answer 8)

another possibility is to go to damage-based XP. after all its much harder to kill a medic than it is to kill eg an engineer.
Last edited by bani on Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
[deo]jops

Post by [deo]jops »

i guess bani meant xp == hp
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

:P
RaY

Post by RaY »

I don't think it's a good idea for competition; if you're tired of people ratio whoring just count /kill's as deaths and leave it at that.

ET-center post
[url=irc://irc.quaknet.org/ascend]#ascend[/url]
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

see this proposal then.