Damage based XP

Good idea
79%
Bad idea
21%

Total votes: 198

KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

Also Bani, could we have clarification on how the DMG XP would be accrued.

Example:

1 XP / 50 HP

I do 40 DMG to player2
I do 50 DMG to player3
I do 30 DMG to player4
I do 30 DMG to player5

Do I get 1 XP, or 3 XP? ( does all that damage have to be on one target, or is it just based on your running total of DMG given - obviously you may not have coded this yet and it's changable, but I assume the 2nd way is an easier implementation, and more fair )

NewdeaL wrote:kingjackal:

you're missing my point. i'm not talking about 1v1's i'm talking about actual teams going out and playing. On a pub, I'd be somewhat troubled by one of my noobie companions leeching a kill out from under me, but on pubs i play for 1 purpose, to kill as many people as possible.

In a Team/Clan match, the relevance as to who gets the XP for the kill or who inflicted the most damage is irrelevant, so long as the enemy is dead, and the friendlys are still alive.

^^If you can't see the cold hard truth there, you're looking at the game in the wrong way.
That is true, but again - look at the Allied F-Op in the first example. He's never going to get recognition for his skills. And while this does not matter for the team's objectives, it also obscures where the skills in the team lie. If we truely did not care about XP rewards ( which bottom-line in clan matches we don't ), we wouldn't bother with points. AT ALL. No frags points, no damage points, no XP, NOTHING. Your team wins or your team loses.

...perhaps that would suit you better? No points AT ALL? Only teamwork?
Last edited by KingJackaL on Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

it's not really an issue about 'stealing xp' from other players, but rather getting 0 xp for dealing tons of damage, which i dont feel lives up to the name or definition of "skill".

again, i dont feel that dealing 1hp on a hurt engineer to get a kill is an accurate measure of 'skill' than dealing 160hp on a medic.

you argue that it's reasonable to award skill xp for medics healing teammates with medpacks, because that's purely a function of medic player class.

i would counter: it is equally logical, following your reasoning, to award skill xp for soldiers damaging enemies with heavy weapons (pf, mortar, ft, etc) because thats purely a function of soldier player class as well. if we are going to be consistent with your logic, we need to apply it equally and consistently to soldier class.
Last edited by bani on Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

NewdeaL wrote:Look back at RtCW or Q3. No one recieved .5 points for ALMOST killing an enemy, and ET should be no different.
maybe it just never occurred to them? just because something isnt in one game doesnt mean its not a reasonable thing for another game.

unless of course you are arguing that ET = Q3...
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

KingJackaL wrote:Do I get 1 XP, or 3 XP? ( does all that damage have to be on one target, or is it just based on your running total of DMG given - obviously you may not have coded this yet and it's changable, but I assume the 2nd way is an easier implementation, and more fair )
it's a running counter. every time you accumulate enough damage in a skill (lightweapons, heavyweapons, covops, etc) you get 1 xp for that skill.
Majikthise

Post by Majikthise »

"Kinda interesting, the fact that competitive players DON'T want this, yet all of the no names posting here are begging for it."

I've played my share of competitive play, and see this as a welcomed change. This way, people with better accuracy (who inevitably deal out more damage) will get more XP for it. It will also even out the XP distribution among the team, so the of the less-than-best players won't be at a larger disadvantage as the match goes on. Funny how you're grouping the creators of the competition based mod with "no namers". How about you get over yourself, and realize this is going to be used for competitive -and- pub play. You're not the only voice here. Also, I like your generalization, saying pub people are "begging" for it, while competitive players DON'T want it. Way to word things in your own favor. Also of note, your "agruments" have been less than convincing. You're only putting up your personal opinions about it, instead of anything that warrants any real attention. If you want to make any kind of impact on this proposal, then do something other than stand of a soapbox.
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

ok, this is how i look at it... and it really biols down to this.

you work at an assembly line... you work your ass off all day... you come home only to find out that you never recieved any pay at all for that, because you did not technically build a car.

later, you find out your friend is a multi-millionare because he pieced the very last piece of the car on every single car, thus crediting him for every single car.

furthermore, your sitting at an assembly line and you piece the car together all day (same part), so you do get points for every piece you put on, but when a person that comes after you in the assembly lines takes your piece off, they remove the money you got for putting that piece on. (this would be for when a person goes and gets healed by a medic).

now, i've heard a lot of stupids here in this forum... but honestly, if you had that job and that really happened, dont you think you'd be a little pissed? *** THAT IS STUPID

it is stupid to even argue about it IMO. if you damage someone, you have rightfully owned the reward for that damage, even if it's small or large.

sorry i mentioned the /kill thing... i was just bringing it up that if you were to instate a system such as this, you would not have to worry about assholes who intentionally /kill to prevent you from getting xp.. that is all.
Last edited by Kamel on Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Common sense isn't very common."
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

you work at an assembly line... you work your ass off all day... you come home only to find out that you never recieved any pay at all for that, because you did not technically build a car.

later, you find out your friend is a multi-millionare because he pieced the very last piece of the car on every single car, thus crediting him for every single car
Best.Analogy.Ever.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

NewdeaL wrote:When people don't like what they hear, and speak out AGAINST the change, it's not because they're afraid, it's because they don't see the change doing any good for the community. The current changes have been made to better improve the competitive community have been WELCOMED, (i.e. spawn times on oasis and railgun, the spawnable cp on fueldump and dynamitable back door for battery in the next release of etpro) but this one shot down on sites like www.et-center.com
it is interesting to note that there was opposition to the battery and fueldump changes, exactly the same arguments "the maps arent broke so dont fix them", "the maps dont need changing", "that change sounds like a shrub n00b idea" "leave the maps alone" etc. but the opposition seems to have pretty much died off after they were actually able to playtest the changed maps and found out they actually liked the changes...
Palbin

Post by Palbin »

While i did liek you ideas on teh /kill thing Bani i don't know about this. The jury is still out.
Palbin-OGL
www.metamule.com
OGL Admin ET Campaign & SW Ladder / [url=irc://irc.gamesurge.net/ogl]#OGL[/url] / www.worldogl.com
Lethal

Post by Lethal »

dA*Rogue wrote:

later, you find out your friend is a multi-millionare because he pieced the very last piece of the car on every single car, thus crediting him for every single car
Best.Analogy.Ever.
lol, u people forget that the objective is winning the match and NOT on xp, except maybe pubs, this is why i dont think its a good idea for comp
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Lethal wrote:lol, u people forget that the objective is winning the match and NOT on xp, except maybe pubs, this is why i dont think its a good idea for comp
why would it make comp worse? you mean if these changes were implemented, all of a sudden overnight, experienced clans who used to play as a tight team would suddenly crumble into a rabble of individualistic rambos?
Gamma

Post by Gamma »

I don't want this. Why?
It will delay the release of the ETPro.

Please implement:
Gib Stats

Anyways, I really don't care as long as the average rate of xp gain stays the same. Then again, if it stays the same - why implement?

Just release the new version, PLEASE
Kamel

Post by Kamel »

Lethal wrote:
dA*Rogue wrote:

Best.Analogy.Ever.
lol, u people forget that the objective is winning the match and NOT on xp, except maybe pubs, this is why i dont think its a good idea for comp
you forgot that it's a metaphor -- for COMPETITION play, you get XP which give you rewards such as DUAL PISTOLS and you like CAPS TOO MUCH.... who gives a shit? if it is not going to affect competition at all (as you claim, because xp of course has NOTHING TO DO WITH COMPETITION), then WHY THE HELL ARE YOU ARGUING NOT TO DO IT?!?

bah, you people WOULD NOT MAKE good LAWyeRS
"Common sense isn't very common."
Lethal

Post by Lethal »

Gamma wrote:I don't want this. Why?
It will delay the release of the ETPro.

Please implement:
Gib Stats

Anyways, I really don't care as long as the average rate of xp gain stays the same. Then again, if it stays the same - why implement?

Just release the new version, PLEASE
amen, gib stats would pwn

no teams would crumble, but itd help the defensive team more, not the offensive, thats whats the problem, the maps are already geared towards defense should they have an experience/class bonus as well?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Lethal wrote:no teams would crumble, but itd help the defensive team more, not the offensive, thats whats the problem, the maps are already geared towards defense should they have an experience/class bonus as well?
actually it wouldnt. damage-based xp would change the situation and help out offense.

why? right now, if a map is defensively biased, it means the opposition is more likely to die than the defense. which means the offense are more likely to end up with big fat zero's for skills. hence, the defense skills up much faster than offense.

in damage-based xp, offense has at least more a chance to skill up, instead of being slapped with big fat zero's all the time. they may get a few xp here, a few xp there. eventually, offense accumulates some skills.. defense skills up about as fast as they used to in etmain (nothing changes here!). but now, thanks to damage based xp, offense has a chance to skill up too.