Panzers and /kill solution?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

thanny

Panzers and /kill solution?

Post by thanny »

I've read most of the messages on /kill, and I've yet to see anyone provide what could actually be a solution for the panzer problem.

First, let me make it clear that I don't care about clan matches. ET Pro has more use with public servers than private. You may call it a competition modification, but it is in fact a popular public server modification, primarily because of the bug fixes.

Second, let me clarify why this is really a problem. Many messages have focused on the fact that when a person commits suicide, your job (to kill that person) has been completed, so there's no point complaining. You've saved some ammunition, blah, blah. With normal weapons, this point is minimally debatable (minimally in the sense that the point has a small component of validity, because there would be a small savings on ammunition).

With a panzerfaust, however, the point is completely vacant of validity. By the time the person commits suicide, the ammunition (25% of the total) has already been spent. Furthermore, if the goal of a soldier playing panzerfaust is to efficiently kill the enemy, those first seven kills are crucial, to increase the rate of fire. Someone who denies experience by committing suicide is using /kill as a defensive weapon, something it surely should not be.

Though I'm a programmer by trade, I don't know how practical my suggestion will be, but here it is: make it so that /kill does not work if there is a panzer projectile in the air.

If this is at all practical, it would probably be possible to fine tune it so that it only applies when the panzer stands a chance of hitting the person. Perhaps the distance to the projectile must decrease by some minimum amount over some small interval, which, combined with the projectile's speed can verify that the direction of travel is within a maximum number of degrees of the person in question.

I don't think any exceptions should be made based on how much time is left on the respawn clock, but I've little doubt that other rather vocal people would disagree vehemently, so it may as well be an option.
Ragnar_40k

Post by Ragnar_40k »

The most simple solution is to add a counter. You can kill yourself with a weapon (e.g. panzer) or with slash-kill for a certain number of times. But when you selfkill to often, you wont be able to select the weapon anymore (forcing you to choose another weapon) resp. slash-kill is disabled until the end of the round. Additionally this could be extended to teamkills (Airstrikes, Artillery, TK-revives, etc.)
The Emperor watch over you.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

i don't mind your idea but i really do obj to people saying that this is a great thing for public, the public mod IS on it's way, shortly after the bugfixes for 3.0 get done (i hope) , this is not designed for public and if pubs like using them then they have the comp settings to work arround
however i wouldn't mind if a 3 sec delay was added to the /kill as it is if you don't /kill before 1 sec till spawn (/killing at 1 sec) you miss the next spawn. this would change it to if you don't /kill before 3 secs till spawn...
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

you people are overthinking this. the solution is really simple and completely fair, though maybe not totally obvious. though because of all the whining in the past im not going to share it until i get it fully worked out and tested.
Nail

Post by Nail »

:lol: panzer sniping,
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
Kendle

Post by Kendle »

bani wrote:you people are overthinking this. the solution is really simple and completely fair
Disable XP is the only total solution that's completely fair, that I can think of. ;)
Ragnar_40k

Post by Ragnar_40k »

Kendle wrote:
bani wrote:you people are overthinking this. the solution is really simple and completely fair
Disable XP is the only total solution that's completely fair, that I can think of. ;)
Mmmh, somehow I am not surprised that this statement came from Kendle 8).
The Emperor watch over you.
Chunky

Post by Chunky »

Ragnar_40k wrote:The most simple solution is to add a counter. You can kill yourself with a weapon (e.g. panzer) or with slash-kill for a certain number of times. But when you selfkill to often, you wont be able to select the weapon anymore (forcing you to choose another weapon) resp. slash-kill is disabled until the end of the round. Additionally this could be extended to teamkills (Airstrikes, Artillery, TK-revives, etc.)
Brilliant! That surely does fix all those annoying guys denying you XP and the proper medal when playing 1on1, or in a game primarily based on frags (playing 2vs2 is no fun when playing objectives on maps like radar). It's not like Im hart-broken when someone does this, it just is simply annoing! At the moment of killing one, the guy is suddenly lying on the floor :?

No big deal, but a kill-timer really would lighten up my mood about ETpro3..
Greetz,
<[AA]> Chunky, HORA EST
Deathlike M. Tito

Post by Deathlike M. Tito »

what if someone geting shot at and that person (who is geting shot) cant kill him self?
and when you klik fire (pantzerfaust) at the close range at the aponent, the aponent cant kill him self?

:?:
meLonF

Post by meLonF »

the only legitimate purpose for using /kill is to respawn for more ammo/health/change class/change spawn point... i'm sure we all agree on this at least.

my suggestion is that when you /kill the command to 'kill' will not be executed until spawn time ... so if someone hits kill with 10 seconds on the respawn clock you don't die immediately, you remain alive until the respawn timer hits 0 then you are automatically killed and spawn

simple - it solves people using /kill to avoid being 'killed' by the enemy and whats even better it means no more accidently missing respawn by hitting kill too late :D

i can't think of any problems with this idea, but i'm sure you guys can, so i'll leave that part to everyone else ;) :P
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

/kill in a safe area, then when you have about 5 secs left till spawn charge into a heavy enemy laden area and nade the hell out of them
only thing i can think of a bad aspect...
however some people don't like the idea of being able to change spawns with it...
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
KingJackaL

Re: Panzers and /kill solution?

Post by KingJackaL »

thanny wrote:First, let me make it clear that I don't care about clan matches. ET Pro has more use with public servers than private. You may call it a competition modification, but it is in fact a popular public server modification, primarily because of the bug fixes.
OMG :shock:

Somebody kill the troll... PLEASE :shock: :evil:
CrosshairBill

Post by CrosshairBill »

You do realize that you can cancel a panzer shot right? If they kill out just lean, simple as that. You shouldnt be shooting a panzer at a single person regardless, that's just noob.
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

you people are still over-thinking this.
Threshold

Post by Threshold »

bani wrote:you people are still over-thinking this.
Take out /kill all together? :)