cannot see target?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

suba

cannot see target?

Post by suba »

Is there any chance that ETPro can contain a fix for the "cannot see target" crap?

How the hell can you have great billowing clouds of smoke in the middle of a flamin great paddock and yet the "pilot" cannot "see" it?

Same with arty, if a player can see the target the why can't the fire control? Ignore whether there is anything overhead! If we're being remotely real then a FO calling arty will give a location and it will be targeted whether it's "inside" or not! Same for airstrike.
Last edited by suba on Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

as far as i know it jsut looks stait up and see if it can see the "sky"whitout beeing blocked
KingJackaL

Re: cannot see target?

Post by KingJackaL »

suba wrote:Is there any chance that ETPro can contain a fix for the "cannot see target" crap?
Interesting use of the word 'fix' given the current behaviour is exactly as intended...
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

they target the little explosion, keep that out from undersomething and you'll be fine, the airstrike has to have a weakness
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
fretn

Post by fretn »

play COD or smth if you want realism games

the aborting can't see target is just because shouldn't be able to throw airstrikes inside buildings, maybe sometimes it looks like crap if it's just on the edge of a roof, but live with it
Day by day : http://w.twwwo.be/
next_ghost

Post by next_ghost »

Well, the pilot should check for coloured smoke and not a tiny almost invisible smoke canister. Make the sky visibility test from smoke puffs and if there're at least two that pass and aren't halfway gone, BOMBS AWAY!

It'll fix a little bug where u can lay down over the canister, it'll stop smoking but u still get bombed while u shouldn't and vice versa - the smoke canister is smoking and u stand a little off it but the bombs don't fall.

Except what I wrote, this thread is pointless.
gotenks

Post by gotenks »

if the pilot checks for smoke, you cannot block the cannister at all anymore :(
My Website
After a night of binge drinking:
=FF=im2good4u wrote:WTF wanst i on top ?
SickBoy

Post by SickBoy »

yeah lets make it even easier for fieldops to spam their heavy artillery :roll:
dA*Rogue

Post by dA*Rogue »

fine as it is...
suba

Post by suba »

You guys are very lucky if you think it only happens when there's something overhead. Look this is from a game today. The aim spots are pretty much as identical as you can get, yet it cant "see" the first one but can the second. It's clearly a clipping error.

Surely you don't think thats "intended" KJ?

As for the airstrike, I had one on railgun way out the in open that it "couldnt see". Admittedly it could have been on a train track and that's where the clipping error was, but the pilot would have to be blind Sally not to see it.

The fact is these clipping errors occur, and the classic reverse one is where a cannister is placed next to a wall so that the smoke is *not* clipped by the wall so no smoke shows but they go off still. Call it skill but it's exploiting a bug.

I don't expect realism per se, but if you throw an airstrike and great billowing pink clouds would easily be seen by a pilot then it's pretty much hax to have it abort, and vice versa. Face it, its a bug. You've gotten used to it, but it's still a bug.
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

but maybe the pilot didnt wana be responable for lal those deads so he aborted it
fretn

Post by fretn »

the smoke is handled clientside, the server has no clue where the smoke is drawn on the client
Day by day : http://w.twwwo.be/
KingJackaL

Post by KingJackaL »

There isn't really a bug AFAIK in the 'how-it-works' bit. That works fine, just look at arty spots on map geometry.

The problem you've shown in those screenshots is common, but I'd guess that it's either because the tank model isn't smooth (unlikely), or because the engine doesn't calculate surfaces on models very well?

I know that bug, see it all the time. But it's not reason to change the behaviour of the vertical scan for visibility.
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

buy some glasses for the pilots!!!!
=FF=im2good4u

Post by =FF=im2good4u »

fretn wrote:the smoke is handled clientside, the server has no clue where the smoke is drawn on the client
but you can probely make the pilot loot at a radius around the canister

or make the target culculation client side adn thne sind it over to the server :roll: