Hitsounds, tough one..?

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Histounds, for public only?

yes - the hitsounds should be kept for public/optional use only
18%
no - OMFG are u crazy? - teh hitsounds are teh l33t!!
82%

Total votes: 72

squadjot

Hitsounds, tough one..?

Post by squadjot »

Hey all..

I know when writing this that, making this poll.. will not necesarily give me the result i want.. as players seem to have very different opinions on this topic...

First of all, before u vote, i would like you to be honest and think, not only about the advantages that you, as player clearly gain, by having hitsounds available...but also think of the game, as how will it work in general.overall gameplay, competition ethics, fairness..

Does it affect gameplay... YES in many ways.. we have overall sound detecting.. with hitsounds u have MUCH better "audio"-overview of your enemies. and..another thing..damage amount awareness..

Is it exiting that you KNOW that u just delivered two headshots, close range,..so that u just KNOW that u'll nail this guy in the next couple of shots? ..yes to YOU, who fired the two headshots..its great!!!! ... but...is it really that great? if you think about it? (not if u look upon ot from competition aspect imo, and this is still a comp mod..or?)

anyways..i guess a poll like this must have been done before..cant find it tho.. please vote.. and plase from a comepetition-minded/clanplayers point of view...

IF youre some shrub lovong dude..who likes speed servers..and nogravity servers...peace out, just ignore this..as it will never affect you anyways.

regards, jot/schwein
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

hitsounds only make audible that which is already visible.

white smokepuff = bodyshot
red smokepuff = headshot

no tracer = hit
tracer = miss
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

i would expect this post from a non competition player tbh
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

bani wrote:hitsounds only make audible that which is already visible.
oh?..that changes things a bit for the better then..i missed out on that.. so now nades wont give u a signal if NME are camping behind a wall?? (classic nade from outside north wall, oasis)
squadjot

Post by squadjot »

>>steven! wrote:i would expect this post from a non competition player tbh
why?
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

where is the "i don't care" option.

Introducing hitsounds didn't make a huge difference to comp play. Removing them wouldn't either. There are some situations where they make a difference, but the overall game plays just about the same. Forcing them off would cause a huge crapstorm of whining, but that is beside the point.

In any case, it would be up the individual leagues to force them off in their .config, so it's hard to see how this even belongs on the etpro forum. If you want your particular league to force them off, you should be campaigning on their forum, not here.

( my personal feeling is that hitsounds are slightly "cheap", especially with splash damage weapons, and the ability to detect people through smoke and such. But this is a very minor thing. )
send lawyers, guns and money
h4ks

Post by h4ks »

-imo- the hitsounds are a great feature.
i really miss them in the games without them.
/*Demoman*/

Post by /*Demoman*/ »

SCDS_reyalP wrote: ( my personal feeling is that hitsounds are slightly "cheap", especially with splash damage weapons, and the ability to detect people through smoke and such. )
cheap you got it... Ive never been a fan of hitsounds... If adding hearing to visual aids.. why not add visual to hearing aids... like when objectives are stole or planted at have a message popup on the screen.. so that those that dont hear the planted/stolen sound can see whats going on instead?

to me it doesnt make sense to add something that wasnt needed...the addition of hit sounds are nothing more than a neat trick feature... but was definatly not needed to be added to a competion mod
bani
Site Admin

Post by bani »

/*Demoman*/ wrote:
SCDS_reyalP wrote:If adding hearing to visual aids.. why not add visual to hearing aids... like when objectives are stole or planted at have a message popup on the screen.. so that those that dont hear the planted/stolen sound can see whats going on instead?
you mean like this?

or this?
Nail

Post by Nail »

afaik, when someone plants or steals or returns objective, there is an on screen text announcement

bah, bani beat me, with pics too :lol:
Last edited by Nail on Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

i think its cos its white text maybe, or if a big kill happens at the same time ppl dont see it?

(i know a few customs use red text, means u dont miss the objective call, but red text looks ugly)

is there any way to implement this so a user can choose the colour of displayed messages?
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
ouroboro

Post by ouroboro »

hitsounds need to be removed from any weapon that can get a "blind kill", such as nades, mortars, panzers, artillery, etc. simply because the game has no visual equivalent (such as "you WOUNDED etplayer"). what bani said is correct, you already have the visual cues when you land a shot, so an audio supplemental is not "extra intelligence" - except in the case of NON line-of-sight weapons (panzers belong in this category because you can fire one into a doorway on a hunch and gain intelligence you wouldn't normally be given by the game - same as nades/mortars/arty... anything but bullets in other words).

for bullets, they don't pose much of a problem.

i votes yes simply because we had the "spot detection" discussion here several times and nothing was done about it. the logic that hitsounds make things a bit easier and therefore don't really have a place in an official match can be justified, and making them a "training tool" for pubs only could be argued for. but at the end of the day i can't be bothered to care about this issue either way. it's just not vital.

@Nail: it's quite satisfying to know i was able to get you so worked up that i made it into your sig :twisted: seriously, i feel incredibly proud that i am able to get under someone's skin like that. i really hope i've caused you to punch things and scream at your monitor :lol: (although i actually can't remember what i may have said to bug you that bad. ah well, just goes to show i don't take you as seriously as you take me). /me walks off whistling, twirling a cane and clicking his heels in a carefree manner...
>>steven!

Post by >>steven! »

i agree, take it off them, rifle nades aswell, airstrikes, artillery

i use all these in clan matches, and it is a help, but id just eb as happy with hitsounds just for ppl u can actually see u r hitting with a bullet.
UK Elite Guard
#ukeg on Quakenet
www.ukeliteguard.co.uk
Est. Jan 2002
Nail

Post by Nail »

/offtopic
ouroboro, don't hurt yourself pattin yourself on the back, I just like silly quotes, and what can I say, it IS your quote
BTW, even Daz didn't get under my skin
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
hiro

Post by hiro »

headshot sounds for bullets only would be enough.

hitsounds for splash damage is cheap, it's too easy to lob random grenades over walls to sound out the enemy. Often you hear hits for grenades or airstrikes but don't get a kill, you then know there is a wounded target around the corner begging to be finished off. This gives wounded players little chance to hide and use their stealth to survive.