Feature Request: b_helmetprotection

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

Inferno

Feature Request: b_helmetprotection

Post by Inferno »

I believe this cvar could be a good addition to ETPro given the reaction to b_damagefalloff 0, seeing as how, more than likely, both North American leagues (CAL/TWL) will see an implementation of this setting next season if and when the new ET 2.60 with ETPro 3.1.13 is adopted.

Helmet damage reduction is a setting carried over from Shrub RtCW, a pub mod. Why, exactly, is superior aiming being punished in favor of body shots? There is nothing more disappointing than laying dead on the ground with your helmet in place, especially after hitting two headshots on a medic, as you listen to him give himself 4-5 health packs in a corner after the encounter. We need to restore the skill gap that RtCW once had. I believe this will help achieve this slightly. Of course newbs will still have landmines, riflegrenades, mortars, mobile mg42s and panzers to crutch, but that is another topic for another day. :P

Some additional information and numbers are as follows:
Headshot damage reduction from helmets standardized to -20 damage, except for headshots by scoped rifles (K43 or Garand)

Source: http://www.planetwolfenstein.com/4newbi ... tm#changes
Upon testing this myself, I found this to be incorrect. My findings are listed below. Testing done on ET 2.56 with ETPro 3.1.9.

Headshot with helmet (Pistols): 40 damage
Headshot without helmet (Pistols): 50 damage
Headshot with helmet (SMGs): 40 damage
Headshot without helmet (SMGs): 50 damage
Headshot with helmet (rifles): 54 damage
Headshot without helmet (rifles): 60+ damage

Pistols: Colt, Luger
SMGs: FG42, MP40, Sten, Thompson
Rifles: K43, M1 Garand

Thanks for reading and your (hopefully) future consideration.
Inferno
sponge

Post by sponge »

Where have TWL said ANYTHING about disabling damage falloff? I haven't heard anything either way, besides chances are very thin for b_wolfrof (thank god)
nothx

Post by nothx »

This needs to be seriously considered.
Ragnar_40k

Post by Ragnar_40k »

nothx wrote:This needs to be seriously considered.
How about a weapon-matrix which allows to adjust all stats of all weapons. This needs to be seriously considered.

:lol:
The Emperor watch over you.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Good aim should be rewarded and not punished, would it be possible to include a server side setting to remove helmet protection?
syn.Slay
#syndrom
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

Note that except at max distance falloff, a headshot always does more damage than a body shot. So it does reward aim, just not as much. If distance falloff were turned off (or headshots made to only fall the same percentage as body shots) then headshots would always be better.

Incidently Inferno is right. This is one of the few cases where iffys page is wrong. The helmet does 20% protection, not 20 points. The 20% is taken after distance falloff.
send lawyers, guns and money
jump3r

Post by jump3r »

Go play RTCW, and leave your bullshit ideas about "rtcw->et" pls. Thx