An idea for future releases...

Discussion for Bani's Tournament Mod

Moderators: Forum moderators, developers

<UO>DeathItself

An idea for future releases...

Post by <UO>DeathItself »

G'day, just had an idea you may want to consider for future versions, though you may have guessed that already. :o

Support for multiple .pk3's. We run a custom soundpack and we have mine markers, skin packs and other things. We basically run a fun server and we have a lot of .pk3's which we can run, but can only run one at a time.

Or-

Can we put all the existing pk3's, unzip them and put them all into one big .pk3?
<UO> Enemy Territory IP,
203.12.0.101:27965.
<UO> Clan website
Nail

Post by Nail »

afaik, if you have them named different and starting with a letter after p (q - z) you can run as many little annoying things that people will bear
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
<UO>DeathItself

lol, some of them are annoying I agree there. The soundpack annoys me more than more panzers do, but people like it so I have to live with it.

So I could make one: q_soundpack.pk3

another: r_mines.pk3

That sort?
<UO> Enemy Territory IP,
<UO> Clan website
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

The file system is in the engine, so it's not something etpro can change.

That said, you can already use multiple .pk3 files. As long as each one provides different assets, they do not conflict with each other at all.

ET has a search order (controlled both by .pk3 file name and cvars such as fs_game and fs_homepath), which you can see with the path command in the server console.

It is important to remember that .pk3 files are accessed in reverse-alphabetical order. So a skin in etmain/z_blah.pk3 will override the one default one (in etmain/pak0.pk3), but the same skin in etmain/a_blah.pk3 will not.

Names of the form pak*.pk3 a treated specially by the engine, and shouldn't be used for custom content.
send lawyers, guns and money
deej

Post by deej »

AFAIK the naming scheme becomes irrelevant when you don't use etmain since then you can just put everything in the mod dir and it will use that first.
Our servers now run on 64 bit steroids. Point your ET to:
- Forgotten Ground StopWatch Server with occasional wolfrof 1
- Fraggle Rock ETPub Server - Mix up ET/UT & Duke Nukem
ReyalP

Post by ReyalP »

deej wrote:AFAIK the naming scheme becomes irrelevant when you don't use etmain since then you can just put everything in the mod dir and it will use that first.
yes, fs_game comes before etmain in the search order
send lawyers, guns and money
<UO>DeathItself

Now you guys have gotten to the stage where I have no idea what you're talking about. :lol:

But with the information given I was able to fix the problem I was having, so cheers to all. :)
<UO> Enemy Territory IP,
<UO> Clan website
Nail

Post by Nail »

to some, naming conventions are sacred :wink:

So I could make one: q_soundpack.pk3

another: r_mines.pk3

That sort?
Yes
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome
<UO>DeathItself

We have our own sacred way of naming the server files, like naming the config "server.cfg", lol. Really improvised that is. ;)
<UO> Enemy Territory IP,
<UO> Clan website